Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a photosmart 7520, running on Win 7, and connected wirelessly. I recently replaced the setup photo cartridge with a new photo cartridge, and although I've barely printed anything since installing it, the ink level is already shown as low. What gives? I have printed out a couple of diagnostic pages, but that's pretty much it.

BTW, I haven't printed out any actual photos, just regular documents.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Neil61 wrote:

I've had the same problem with my HP7520.  Each of the new cartridges that I've installed to replace the set-up cartridges have shown as empty after printing a few documents.  Have you found a solution?

I've found that the suggestion made above, to leave the printer, eliminates this problem, has been very helpful. Since I started following this advice, I haven't had any problems with the printer at all and am happy I purchased it. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44
HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you know ON/OFF very often will consume inks. Or put this way, the less you print the more the printer use inks interms of page yields per cartridge. That may be the case with your printer.

Hope this helps.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Wow. I'll try leaving the printer on all the time and see what happens. I had been turning it off when not in use, to save electricity and because I heard it was better for the printer heads.

@banhien wrote:

Hi,

Did you know ON/OFF very often will consume inks. Or put this way, the less you print the more the printer use inks interms of page yields per cartridge. That may be the case with your printer.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Seriously. This printer has way too many problems. If you can return it, do so.

HP Recommended

What other problems have you run into?

@bmallek wrote:

Seriously. This printer has way too many problems. If you can return it, do so.

HP Recommended

I've had the same problem with my HP7520.  Each of the new cartridges that I've installed to replace the set-up cartridges have shown as empty after printing a few documents.  Have you found a solution?

HP Recommended

@Neil61 wrote:

I've found that the suggestion made above, to leave the printer, eliminates this problem, has been very helpful. Since I started following this advice, I haven't had any problems with the printer at all and am happy I purchased it. Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

HP especially but all other printer makers use this scam to make more money.  If you or I did this it would be simply called stealing or theft. What HP does it they make a Billion Dollars, HP then gets sued. Never makes an admission of guilt that they are shorting the cartridges and settle the case for $1,000,000. Still, as you can sse, a very good profit. I will never buy an HP printer as long as I live and I have authority where I work to order printers. Thay won't be HP!

HP Recommended

Obviously 2 HP employee having lunch. This is no Solution at ALL!

HP Recommended

I never turn my printer off so I'm afraid that's not the answer.  Even if I did turn it off when not in use surely that wouldn't be a satisfactory explanation for a cartridge showing as nearly empty three days after being installed when it's hardly been used.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.