Question

Honor Student
seetrain
Message 1 of 7 (3,178 Views)

no black printing

photosmart 7180 has no black ink printing even thou cartridge is new and shows full

Top Student
curmudg
Message 2 of 7 (3,174 Views)

Re: no black printing

Looking over the forum, I see at least two no black printing after a new cartridge install threads.  No solutions either.  I just assisted office staff with an Officejet 6500 All-In-One - no black printing after new cartridge install.  Replaced with another cartridge, cleaned the old print head, replaced the old print head, the result was the same.  No black printing.

I swapped out the no black printer with one that does.  So that person is fine now in the printer department.

The online help suggested the air vent might be plugged.  This micro hole is covered by the little orange tape strip.  I checked both new black cartridges.  Air holes clean as a baby dolphin's.  The next steps were another print head clean (number five) and print head alignment (number four).  Of course I did it to be a good HP Scout.  Nothing new from them.

My next HP advice was to buy one time or upgrade to one-year phone support.

So here I am, another HP printer user with no black ink printing after new cartridge, one of the few, since there's only four people in the forum with this problem.  I know the solution is very simple, but I'm not going to find out what it is yet.  Maybe the HP printer faery will stop by tonight with some magic black ink cartridge dust and make my printer's owie go away. 

:smileyindifferent:

Top Student
curmudg
Message 3 of 7 (3,172 Views)

fixyourownprinter dotcom /forums/printer/46752

I had the same problem today & got it fixed with a little --- ok a lot of

patience!!! I have seen the "no black print" problem on 4 printers now & this has

fixed 3 of them. Power off the printer. Hold down the CANCEL & OK buttons & keep

them held while powering on the printer. Keep them held till the printer shuts

itself back off --- it will shut off without you hitting the on/off button. Then

power it back up normally by hitting the on/off button. It will warm up normally

except it will display a message "OOB NVRAM RESET" & it will then do about 3

minutes of priming & pumping up the ink in the tubes that run from the cartridges

to the print head. You then can run a test print in the tools section. YOUMAY

HAVE TO DO THIS PROCEEDURE AS MANY AS 6 TIMES AS I HAD TO & IT WILL EVENTUALLY

GET ALL AIR BUBBLES OUT OF THE BLACK TUBE.

HP-Printer-Dave

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 7 (3,159 Views)

curmudg wrote:

Looking over the forum, I see at least two no black printing after a new cartridge install threads.  No solutions either.  I just assisted office staff with an Officejet 6500 All-In-One - no black printing after new cartridge install.  Replaced with another cartridge, cleaned the old print head, replaced the old print head, the result was the same.  No black printing.

[snip] 

For the Officejet 6500 I would suggest the solution here.  You could do up to six reset cycles as suggested on the other site,  but that would use a lot of ink (in both the black and colors).  The Officejet 6500 does not really have ink tubes like some of the other models.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

LPD Student
Student
LPD
Message 5 of 7 (3,120 Views)

Yes, I have a 6500 all-in-one and it too has started to "not print Black". 

I bought a new cartridge and it still doesn't print.   The prior reading had said it was half empty, but since it wasn't printing in the "Status check" I assume the display was in correct.

All other color print fine and the print uptil this moment has been great.  I was printing fine earlier in the week.

Top Student
curmudg
Message 6 of 7 (3,095 Views)

A problem LOTS of HP printers have from small to large is air in ink lines.  In my reserach across the web, someone identified this as the problem when a new cartridge doesn't print.  I think the HP solution is to do a Level 2 printhead clean, probably several times.

I was going to give you the driver path to this process, but I can't find it this morning.  I usually can.    Find it in the Solution Center.

The non-HP solution I found was, "Turn off the printer, press the OK and Cancel buttons and turn the printer back on."

Hold the buttons down until you get the next message from the printer.  It will cycle through a restart and message you to use the on/off button only, that unplugging or using a power strip switch to control the machine may damage it. 

I Aligned and Cleaned the printheads several times before resorting to this "Bigger Hammer" (Don't work? Get a bigger hammer.) technique.  After three restarts, I got perfect printing, every time. 

Be advised, you may damage your printer using this technique.  But it works.   

Student
barbpinsd
Message 7 of 7 (3,081 Views)

I don't know how you figured this out, but it worked great.  I hope it doesn't happen again, but I'll save this solution just in case. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation