Question

Student
deputywayne
Message 1 of 21 (12,877 Views)

officejet 6600 printhead appears to be missing

I have a 3mo old officejet 6600, was working fine then "the printhead appears to be missing, not detceted, or incorrectly installed" i have done what the printer said to fix the issue.  but still will not work.

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 2 of 21 (12,861 Views)

Re: officejet 6600 printhead appears to be missing

This document has information with troubleshooting steps for that message:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02899429&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4323648&tmp...

Keep in mind that this is for another model of printer so there could be slight differences, but the overall steps would be nearly identical.

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
E67 Student
Student
E67
Message 3 of 21 (12,746 Views)

I am unable to remove the printhead as advised in all the help information please advist

Student
Shade02
Message 4 of 21 (12,480 Views)

I've had the same issue, and HP support doesn't seem to have an answer for this one.

This comment by the HP support engineer. "Keep in mind that this is for another model of printer so there could be slight differences, but the overall steps would be nearly identical." upsets me as these models have little to nothing in common, and the printhead mechanism is not able to be removed at all.  I could find no other information online about this issue for this model of HP printer, other than complaints about the same problem. There were more user complaints for this product on amazon on this issue than there were positive reviews. My printer is 3 months old, and I'm out the cost of the printer plus all the ink cartridges I just purchased. This will be the last HP product I will ever buy.

Honor Student
Wildrat58
Message 5 of 21 (12,010 Views)

I have owned several hp products and I swear them off everythime. 

This POS is the latest. Same issue, been less than 3 months for me. It had been working fine, went to print and got this error. Went to HP support and the printer is not listed for fixing this issue. 

It cannot be done following other printer help files, so don't even waste your time. I hooked my Samsung Laser printer up and have the HP POS sitting in front of me. I am going to take it apart and look at it.

It's my fault I should have known better than to buy HP again.

Wildrat

Student
captainkona
Message 6 of 21 (11,759 Views)

Greetings.

Officejet 6600 printhead error>

Read some of the suggested fixes and now I'm eve more confused. There is no "latch" of any color to be found. No moving part connected to the printhead or the carrier.

Hows about an illustrated, highly detailed account of this procedure?

Any help will be appreciated. Looks like the 6600 is one serious hunk of junk.

Thanx.

Honor Student
Wildrat58
Message 7 of 21 (11,745 Views)

You are very correct any the suggestion. They have nothing to do with this printer at all. I went online to Ebay and bought a HP Laserjet 4350. it is an old printer but it far excells in printing. Granted it is not color, or a scanner. 

On it the print head will not go missing right after printing something, the cartridges will not dry up, and you won't get annoyes because your printer is barely 3 months old and took a dump already. 

Yes, I got the message about boxing it up and sending it in for warranty. It is fairly obvious all these things are breaking down about the same time. There is a flaw in them to begin with. Hard earned money wasted on another lemon.

Wildrat

Honor Student
BarryE
Message 8 of 21 (9,335 Views)

On my 6600 printer there was a cable on the print head not in fully. I had to remove 6 T-10 screws to be able to lift the scanner out and then was able to push all cables in on the print head (with the unit unplugged when the cartridge compartment was open so this unit would be in the center to make it easier). Puting it back togeher, the error was gone and the printer worked, again. Other models the print head can be removed easily from the front.

Honor Student
jeni55
Message 9 of 21 (8,255 Views)

Can you tell me exactly which screws you removed? Where are they located? back of the printer? I'm having the same issue as everyone else - only problem is that I've only used the printer a few times over the course of the last year so my warranty has run out.
Student
Yojdub
Message 10 of 21 (8,118 Views)

I'm having the same issue. My warranty expired 8/31/2013. I've only printed a couple hundred times on this printer and now this. I'm not too happy. I'm going to look for these screws or bolts mentioned and tear this thing apart. I was hoping I purchased the extended warranty from the store I made the purchase, but they weren't to quick to help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation