Question

Student
Linklady
Message 1 of 2 (139 Views)

officejet wireless all in one 4500--can i use only black ink and not buy anymore color cartridges

Hi, I have an officejet 4500 series all in one. HP 901 is the ink it uses--there is a black cartridge and also a tri color cartridge--I have no need to print in color. Can I just replace the back ink and ignore the tri-color?

Also, are the XL cartridges worth the extra money? do they really print a lot more pages than the basic cartridges?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer!

P.S. using Windows 8

Spoiler

Linklady
HP Support Agent
Waterboy71
Message 2 of 2 (97 Views)

Re: officejet wireless all in one 4500--can i use only black ink and not buy anymore color cartridge

Hi Linklady,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see that you are wanting to use just the black ink cartridge. I have taken some time and research this issue. With some of the HP printers this would be an option but just to finish a print job that is in process. Unfortunately with the model you are using, this is not an option.

As for the usage comparison for the regular size ink cartridges and the XL cartridges, please click on the following link and you will see that the difference is considerable.  Ink & toner supplies.

Thank you for your time.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation