Question

Student
mwt50
Message 1 of 18 (20,814 Views)

photosmart 5510 won't print Black

Black cartridge ran out of ink (This was the Set-up cartridge). Repaced with genuine HP cartridge. printer has recognised the cartridge and that it is full, but will not print black at all ??!!

Professor
RobertoR
Message 2 of 18 (20,779 Views)

Re: photosmart 5510 won't print Black

Hi matte

Hope you are doing well and having a great 

Sorry to hear that you are having this issue. 

This Article Here will give steps that have been helpful to others hope they will help you as well, 

Can you clean with hot water (wait several hours and verified that is completely dry ) the cartridge to see if the cartridge is clog (congest with Ink) This have help many folks as well 

Hope this helps;

RobertoR

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :smileyvery-happy:
Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 3 of 18 (19,830 Views)

mwt50 wrote:

Black cartridge ran out of ink (This was the Set-up cartridge). Repaced with genuine HP cartridge. printer has recognised the cartridge and that it is full, but will not print black at all ??!!

Hi mwt50, just wondering if this issue with Black not printing now resolved? FYI, there are more troubleshooting steps (such as checking the cartridge is vented properly)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=ie&lc=en&docname=c02914910

Thanks, Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 4 of 18 (17,701 Views)

Hi mwt50

Is the issue with Black not printing now resolved?

Thanks

Ciara

Top Student
hp_printer_ac
Message 5 of 18 (16,746 Views)

The printhead is probably blocked with dried up ink. Went through the same routine on mine, finally decided to disassemble it to get to the printhead. I got it out and cleaned it with water. It is now back to normal.

Student
CZ13
Message 6 of 18 (7,583 Views)

How did you do it?  Was it easy?

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 7 of 18 (6,937 Views)

CZ13 wrote:

How did you do it?  Was it easy?

Hi CZ13, have you tried running a Printhead clean? Have you checked the ink levels? Have you reset the printer? Is the printer still in warranty?

Black not printing

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/Black-not-printing/m-p/2926025

Thanks

Ciara

Top Student
wynmorgan
Message 8 of 18 (5,912 Views)

I think that this is a disgrace and something that HP should take ownership of.  I purchased my 5510 in late July 2012 and just more than a year later the black ink will not print.  I only use genuine HP inks and all was fine before I replaced the cartridge.  I have been through all the steps suggested - save taking the printer apart to wash it!!  It really isnt that simple as it doesn't just slot out but several screws have to be removed to access it. 

Admittedly I do not print that often and mostly use the printer to scan documents.  Is that the problem with others? 

Student
JR1906
Message 9 of 18 (5,876 Views)

We recently had the same issue with our 5510 printer.  We read on a different thread where someone left their printer unplugged for two weeks, and then powered it on and found that this issue had gone away.  Another thread reported a similar outcome after about 2 months of inactivity.  We unplugged our 5510 this morning and about 8 hours later, plugged it back in and found that this issue has been resolved. 

Wanted to share this, as this was a very frustrating experience.  We needed to print documents yesterday but could not.  Can't explain why it works, but unplugging the printer for at least a few hours, seems to fix this issue.  Hope this can be of help to others.....

JR

Top Student
wynmorgan
Message 10 of 18 (5,858 Views)

Thanks JR. Just unplugged. Will try when I get home from work tonight. What a game though eh!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation