Question

Honor Student
captaintom454
Message 1 of 5 (156 Views)

print cartridge problem

I received a notice that one of my color cartridges was out of ink .  I checked and the other two color cartridges and the black were low, so I decided to replace all cartridges (HP new cartridges).

Now, I am told that one of the cartridges is missing or inoperative and all of the others are too low to allow printing (including the black cartridge which is a double).

I tried resetting (pulling power plug) the printer which did not help.  the supply check utility shows the one cartridge not there and the rest low.  I've shaken and reinstalled cartridges several time and they have ink.

I am running printer on a Mac using wireless connection.  OXS using Mavericks and using auto updates for HP

Grad Student
MaryChris
Message 2 of 5 (147 Views)

Re: print cartridge problem

Hi captaintom454,

Strange problem. It would be good if you could tell us what model of printer you have. That might make a difference in what steps you need to take to troubleshoot this.

Have you tried putting your old cartridges back in? If that makes a difference, it could rule out problems with the printhead (assuming it is separate from the cartridges, again, why the model is important).

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
Honor Student
captaintom454
Message 3 of 5 (138 Views)

Mary -

Sorry, but I had to specify model to get there - I assumed it kept the model number!  In any case, it is an Officejet Pro 8600 - N911a.  I'll try the old cartridges.

Thanks

captaintom454

Honor Student
captaintom454
Message 4 of 5 (133 Views)

Mary - the old cartridges didn't help - it said "depleted cartridges must be replaced before printing"

Captaintom454

Grad Student
MaryChris
Message 5 of 5 (114 Views)

If these are new cartridges, and not refilled or remanufactured (that process often damages the cartridge), then it sounds like it might not be your cartridges themselves, but that the contacts between the cartridges and the printhead are not making a good connection. If that is the case, you can try the steps listed in THIS DOCUMENT to make sure the cartridges and the printhead are all firmly installed and to clean the contacts.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation