Question

Student
reimert
Message 1 of 11 (15,400 Views)

printer cartridge missing or not detected

I have a C4385 printer all in one and get a printer cartridge missing or not detected.  I've gone through all the steps recommended excepting paying to have it serviced.  It is relatively new, and this is the first time I've changed the cartridges.  Any help?

Student
sanaha
Message 2 of 11 (15,392 Views)

Re: printer cartridge missing or not detected

I am having the same problem with a HP Photosmart C4580 All-in-One  and an original cartridge, I was all morning on the phone with the support

but didn't get any real help because I am in France you could call them with the number of the cartridge and the expiration date and if it isn't expired they will replace it. 

If  any one got other solutions excepting to pay for technical service please let me know

Grad Student
Kryten
Message 3 of 11 (15,388 Views)

Hi,

You indicate that you have tried the steps recommended for solving this issue.  Was this from the web support & troubleshooting? I have a link for troubleshooting that you may like to try.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01530839&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&ju...

You may have tried solution 2 "Remove & then reinstall the cartridges". If that has not worked I'd suggest trying solution 3 "Clean the contacts".  Please follow these instructions exactly.

I hope that this helps.

(I am an HP employee) I am not a expert on all our products, but I'll do my best to help you.
Grad Student
Kryten
Message 4 of 11 (15,386 Views)

Hi,

Just looked at the support documentation for the C4580 & noticed an extra step in the recommended cleaning sequence which could help with the C4580 or C4853.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01442936&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

In step 2 "Clean the cartridge contacts" there is also a suggestion (point 5 figure 7) to clean the print carriage contacts. Again I would suggest following the instructions as exactly as possible.

Hope that this is helpful.

(I am an HP employee) I am not a expert on all our products, but I'll do my best to help you.
Honor Student
mjl1212
Message 5 of 11 (15,206 Views)

I was having the same pblm with my C4385.  I followed the instructions you led me to & so far so good!  My printer is nearly 4yrs old & I'd never cleaned the contacts before. 

Honor Student
mjl1212
Message 6 of 11 (15,171 Views)

Yesterday I cleaned the contacts & the printer worked fine.  Tried to print today & got the same message - Print cartridges missing or not detected. Tried taking the cartridges out & replacing them but it didn't help & the contacts are clean.  Is there anything else I can do.  I'm not willing to pay for service since the printer's almost 4 yrs old. 

Honor Student
llyrmadoc
Message 7 of 11 (15,030 Views)

i've tried everything! still not working.......not happy, gonna buy a new printer, and it won't be a HP

Honor Student
ss_moses
Message 8 of 11 (14,869 Views)

Honor Student
notesmom
Message 9 of 11 (11,956 Views)

I followed directions - pulled out power cord after removing cartridges (all genuine HPs) - Photosmart +.

There was no 'OK' or Help to press - powered back on, installed cartridges, still shows 'yellow' as empty when it's not. 

Honor Student
notesmom
Message 10 of 11 (11,955 Views)

This is not my printer model, so instrux don't help at all. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation