Question

Honor Student
garycut
Message 1 of 2 (81 Views)

printing when two cartridges run out

I contacted HP today and was told by one tech that I could print in B&W without the two color cartridges by going thru my computer. Didn't work. When I spoke to another tech he said I can't print unless all cartridges have ink. What a rip-off. My original cartridges (2) ran out out after about 15 pages. I'm not sure if this is all HP printers. I have a 6600 officejet. When I purchase ink now I'll make sure that all of the cartridges have the same amount because of this problem. No sense in buying an extended black cartridge if you can't use it. Hope this helps other users of HP printers.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 2 (71 Views)

Re: printing when two cartridges run out

HP and other printer manufacturers have different printer technologies for different needs.  Your Officejet 6600 has individual ink supplies and separate printheads.  You can replace whatever cartridge runs out of ink, you do not need to replace them all at once.  If you do mostly B&W printing you may be better off with the XL black cartridge, and setting the printer for "Print in grayscale" and "black ink only".  This would use primarily black ink, although some color ink will still be used for servicing.  Normally color ink is used to print graphics because it gives better images (even B&W images) than using the larger drops from the black cartridge.  

• Some have printheads built into the ink cartridges.  These printers can typically print with one or more of the colors completely empty, or even with color or black (but not both) cartridges removed. The Deskjet 6980 series is an example.  
    • Other printers have separate ink supplies and replaceable printheads.  An example would be the Officejet 6600 printers.  The printhead in these printers can be replaced if they are damaged by running the printhead with colors out.  Some of these printers will allow printing with a color out, other will not.  If the printer is run without ink in one or more colors the printer may be damaged, but the user may be able to recover without having to send the printer for service.
    • Other printers have permanent printheads.  To run these without some ink in all the colors would risk causing damage to the printhead due to clogs, air ingested in the printhead or burned out printhead firing resistors. The Photosmart 3310 series is an example of this type of printer. For printers with fixed printheads this could require service to get the printer to print properly again when the ink is finally replaced.  

The document here has information on how ink is used.  In the vocabulary of that document your printer is an IIC printer.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation