Question

Honor Student
mikeyian
Message 1 of 5 (2,759 Views)

why is the XL color cartridge the same size as the regular but is supposed to hold more ink

why is the XL color cartridge the same size as the regular but is supposed to hold more ink

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 5 (2,742 Views)

Re: why is the XL color cartridge the same size as the regular but is supposed to hold more ink

Please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model?   Generally the XL cartridges have more ink and deliver 2-3x the pages of the standard cartridges.  The physical cartridge is often the same but there is more ink.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
mikeyian
Message 3 of 5 (2,735 Views)

Re: why is the XL color cartridge the same size as the regular but is supposed to hold more ink

Answer "The XL cartridge holds more ink"

Does that mean that the regular cartridge (which is the same size as XL) is not filled to its capacity during manufacturing

Professor
Picardje
Message 4 of 5 (2,733 Views)

HI,

Cartridges are filled to print a certain amount of pages, so yes a normal cartridge isnt full. Creating a bigger cartridge to start with makes it easier for manufacturers to make xl cartridges. Simply by giving them a higher ink volume. This makes producing an printer easier as well as you only have to design the uniot so that one size cartridge will fit.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 5 (2,730 Views)

mikeyian wrote:

Answer "The XL cartridge holds more ink"

Does that mean that the regular cartridge (which is the same size as XL) is not filled to its capacity during manufacturing

You have still not indicated what printer and cartridges you are asking about.  For some models the internal capacity of regular cartridges is less than that of the XL cartridges and both are "full".

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation