Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Photosmart 5510 printer, model # B111A. I purchased a 564XL black ink cartridge for it, and I can't get it to fit. I checked the instructions on how to change the ink, but it didn't say anything about why the XL won't fit. The HP website says it's compatible with my printer, so why won't it fit, and is there anything special I have to do to install it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The thinner 564XL black ink is figure 1 on  's post.  You just need to make sure the part number is CN684W or CN680W.  I know eBay has them.  The retail package that are sold in the store usually does not have part number.

Another question I see in this thread, some users confuse black with "photo black" which are not the same.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

same problem with me

**bleep**??  I bought the cartridge and it clearly does not fit (on-line, so returns are a pain)

(Also, that is a ridiculous process to sign on to this website)

HP Recommended

HP is engaged in some serious deception here.

This is extremely frustrating

HP Recommended

The body size has changed on the newer cartridges, take a look at this document:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02750681

Hope that helps. 

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
HP Recommended

No I already read it, and it didn't help. It tells how to install the new smaller cartridge in the larger slot. The larger cartridge just plain won't fit in the slot on my printer, it's just too small for it, so I have a cartridge that is full, but completely useless to me, and I can't return it because it's been opened. HP should have changed the item number on the new cartridge to 564XL2 in order to distinguish it from the older larger model which does not fit in the newest printers, even though the HP website said it should. There should also have been a notation on the item's web page alerting customers to this discrepancy. Sounds like false advertising to me.

HP Recommended

I have a Potosmart 6510.  Same problem.

Yes, the 564xl black I got can not fit into the 564 black slot at all.  I called tech support.  He had no idea.  He refused to do some research and asked me to return the ink cartridge.

HP Recommended
That's no solution at all. The thing still doesn't fit. Both printer and cartridge are new.
HP Recommended
Ditto!
HP Recommended

After doing more research, I found out there are two version of 564XL black. 

The old CB321WN#140 version is supposed to be 3X more pages.  It is wider. If this one dosn't fit your newer printer(such as my HP Photosmart 5610), the new CN684WN#140 might fit.  It is only 2X more pages.  I have not tried it.  Can anybody confirm this?

HP Recommended
Yup, the new ones(564 xl black) fit fine. It looks like HP has done away with the wide 564xl. Staples wasn't interested in a return since the wide one was opened and that version has been phased out. What a pain!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.