Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

i have a a newer and narrower black cartridge 564 which will not fit into hp photosmart 5510 slot although it is supposed to fit into the wider body slot

the raised profile at the back of the older cartridge is shaped like a wide "T" wheras the new narrower cartridge has a smaller upside down "T" on the back (the end that goes into the printer first)

(The smaller upside down "T" is the same shape as on the color cartridges)

The end will not fit into the slot and the cartridge can not then clip into place

Help please

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem with my new HP6510. Bought two HP 564 XL black.

What about the colors? Did you tried these in XL?

Does anyone have a solution for this problem. On the internetsite from HP it says it should fit.

HP Recommended

No I haven't tried any of the colors  They have not run out of ink yet

In any case the size of the color cartridges has not changed unlike the black cartridges which are now only available in the smaller size - which do not fit

I'm absolutely perplexed with having a new printer which will now not work because I cannot replace the black ink cartridge

I will be taking it back to where I bought it and see what they can do

HP Recommended

I just bought this Photosmart 6515 printer at Costco with a replacement set of cartridges.  The black does not fit because the T is upside down on the insertion end.  The "instructions" state that the black "photo" cartridge isn't intended for printers with four cartridges, but it is clearly marked as the replacement package for this model.  Somebody at HP needs to address this.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

There are 2 versions of 564XL Black.

The newer CN684W has same size as 564 Black and it should fit.  It is supposed to be 2X more pages. 

The older CB321WN is wider and would not fit the 564 Black Slot.  It is supposed to be 3X more pages.

View the part number on the bottom of the cartride.  All don't last very long.  They are a money machine!

HP Recommended

Make that 3 versions of the 564XL  The cr277W. Thin Photo black. comes with the other 3 colors in a costco package. It will not fit because there is a thin post just forward of the contacts that fits into the old wide 564. The new 564xl is closed and the post will not allow the cartridge to seat.

Sounds like HP does not have a handle on this and major box stores like costco are selling a product that is designed wrong.

Change a cartridge- backward compatibility SOP. Someone at HP messed up.

HP Recommended

@russ_engineer wrote:

Make that 3 versions of the 564XL  The cr277W. Thin Photo black. comes with the other 3 colors in a costco package. It will not fit because there is a thin post just forward of the contacts that fits into the old wide 564. The new 564xl is closed and the post will not allow the cartridge to seat.

Sounds like HP does not have a handle on this and major box stores like costco are selling a product that is designed wrong.

Change a cartridge- backward compatibility SOP. Someone at HP messed up.

Hi Russ, not sure what you mean, could you take a photo and post it here?

Thanks

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Same issue!.. 

HP Recommended

Hi Joshua

The updated version will still snap in to the printhead....

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02750681

Figure 1: Example of the updated black XL cartridge installation with space on both sides
Image: Example of the updated black XL cartridge installation with space on both sides.
Figure 2: Example of the original black XL cartridge installation with no space around the cartridge
Image: Example of the original black XL cartridge installation with no space around the cartridge.

Does this solve your query?
Thanks, Ciara
I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I need to know where to buy the THINNER black cartridge as shown on the 2nd example above.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.