Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
I've purchased a new hp 7740 inkjet printer. During startup it said that the printhead is not installed. Removed and replaced cartridges several times but same message displayed. Removed printhead and refitted, now the display says that only NEW setup cartridges can be used. Is there any way to resolve this please? Hp support is closed at the moment but need the printer urgently.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I sent my printer back and bought a Canon - a much more user friendly product. I'm not sure what the reason for using startup cartridges is but after reading reviews online it seems they cause a lot of unhappiness. I was really disappointed with hp but grateful to the people on this forum who tried to help.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Minion1

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Print heads and cartridges are very diffent.  The first must be installed before the second can be used.

If your PC came with replaceable print heads (not all do), you must install those before being able to use any print cartridges.

So, did you successfully install the print heads and NOW, it won't let you install the ink cartidges?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended
Thank you.

The print head was already in the machine but possibly wasn't located properly.(?)
HP Recommended
Any further suggestions please? Is there a way around the startup cartridge problem that you know of please? The printhead was already in the machine but couldn't have been inserted correctly. Now that it is inserted properly the LCD states that NEW startup cartridges are required.
Many thanks.
HP Recommended
Thank you for emailing me. I have tried switching the printer on following the steps given but I still receive the same error message requesting new setup cartridges. Is there anything else I can try please?
HP Recommended

Hello,

Please click HERE to access the steps that should resolve the issue .

or copy paste the below URL in a browser ( Internet Explorer or Chrome )

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-OfficeJet-Pro-7740-Wide-Format-All-in-One-Printer-series/7682...

If issue still persists after trying the steps as mentioned, call HP Tech Support for further assistance to check if printhead / printer replacement. If you are in USA call 1-800-474-6836

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Same problem with my printer.  This printer is 7 days old.  I bought it to replace the HP 7612 which had a printhead problem.

HP Recommended
I sent my printer back and bought a Canon - a much more user friendly product. I'm not sure what the reason for using startup cartridges is but after reading reviews online it seems they cause a lot of unhappiness. I was really disappointed with hp but grateful to the people on this forum who tried to help.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.