Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Make and model number of router? 

These settings are for setting up your wireless (or wired) printer to:

• Stay connected to your router
  • Fix printer ‘offline’ status (wake from sleep mode)
  • Keep all wireless devices better connected
  • Makes your router more secure and hack proof
  • May speed up wireless printing

While DHCP is convenient, devices such as printers (wired and wireless) should always be assigned a static (fixed) IP address manually to avoid conflicts on your wireless network and must be outside the DHCP range of the router.  After setting the static IP, the computer must be updated under Printer Properties/Ports to show a Standard TCP/IP port with the printers IP address. 

1. Set a static IP in the printer (click here) outside the DHCP range of the router (check your manual). This is for Linksys routers but can be used for all routers. Verify your DHCP range and change this first if needed. More Wireless Printing help is here and here   and even more here.  Video here explains the problem and how to fix the problem. <-- So watch this!
  2. Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep/Energy Saving Mode' is disabled and/or the System Mode Time Out is set to zero (0). Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto Off. Or use the Printer Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also check your Printer Properties.
  3. If the printer supports and has IPv6 enabled, turn off IPv6 in the printer.
  4. Make sure printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not into a UPS, power strip or surge protector. This will cause the printer to drop offline and disconnect (yes verified!).

Additional steps to be taken if you continue to have the problem (if they are posted)…

1. Wireless printers only work on the 2.4Ghz wireless band not the 5.0Ghz band.
  2. Verify the printer is on the latest firmware by checking with the HP Support site.
  3. Check all wireless devices in your home for interference. Check microwaves, baby monitors, wireless phones and wireless alarm systems are a big culprit.  Any of these will knock out your wireless printer intermittently.
  4. Make sure your printer and router are at least 5 feet apart from each other.

In the router: (Refer to your router manual for information) 

1. Use a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never 'auto', try channel 1 first then the rest. 
  2. Set router to 20Mhz bandwidth only, or 145Mbps depending on router. 
  3. Always use WPA2-AES (Personal-PSK) encryption, but you can try ‘mixed’ mode. 
  4. Disable WPS and never use it and disable UPnP for the routers security. Nobody can hack your system now and helps with wireless connectivity (if you want to know why, search the web).
  5. If you have a dual band router (2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz bands), make sure the SSID’s are NOT the same, they must be different for all bands including all Guest networks.
  6. SSID broadcast must be enabled.
  7. Always make sure your router is on the latest firmware.
  8. Save all settings. Power off both, wait 2 mins.  Power on router wait 2 mins. 
  9. Power on printer and verify it reconnects to router. 

If needed and you assigned a static IP address, try using 8.8.8.8 for the Preferred DNS server and 8.8.4.4 as the Alternate DNS server in the printer.  (Last thing to try in the printer)

Microsoft announced a Windows update to address device discovery ...waking up devices from sleep mode. Update your Windows 10.  However this should be an automatic update by now.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3147458

If you have Windows 7/8/8.1 is Network Discovery on or off?

1. Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network and Sharing Center/Advanced sharing settings.
  2. Under Home or Work (current profile) / Network Discovery.
  3. Select "Turn on network discovery" and save changes.

Now the last thing to do once all the above has been tried and you still have the same issue, fully de-install and remove the printer and all its software. 

Use http://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php .  Use Powerful Scan at the end and delete all registry entries shown.

Now go back and reinstall the Full Featured Software and Drivers from the HP web site.

Last ditch effort - If your printer has an Ethernet connection, suggest you get some Power Line Adapters and convert your house wiring to Ethernet for your printer.

HP Recommended

sure, as soon as the the fix is made and not reinstalled three times!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the detailed response. Actually, I should have posted this info before now. The fix was pretty simple. Since the printer IP Address was changing every time we lost power or the printer was powered down, I found that I could just name the printer instead of designating it by IP address, which made "finding it" independent of the IP address. Problems solved.

HP Recommended

Hello, I cannot find the document on the site......................instead of lick send me the document at: (removed content)

the search fields do not lead to documents but to predefined topics.................

HP Recommended

I was experiencing the situation whereby the printer would go offline after only one print / scan action; power off/on was all I could do to 'reset' the situation - and then for just one more print / scan action; drove me nuts.

Creating a new port as outlined in this post fixed the issue immediatley for me. Thanks.

(Pity the 'HP Print and Scan Doctor' didn't 'think' to do this of its own accord ... )

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.