Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Envy 100 printer and it works beautifully, except with the ipad.  When I first got it, it wouldn't work at all.  It would find the printer, but when I would try to print something, it would say "contacting printer" and then just hang.  Then I downloaded the new firmware for the printer, and it worked like a dream...for about a week.  NOW, when I send a print job from the ipad, nothing happens...no error message, no hanging, no nothing.

Frankly, this isn't the end of the world, b/c it works fine with our laptops (knocking on wood as I speak), but it's really annoying, and I'd appreciate any advice someone can give.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Reboot your router, printer and iPad and try again.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Reboot your router, printer and iPad and try again.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Thank you.  I finally got around to trying your suggestion (told you it wasn't making me lose sleep at night), and it worked perfectly.  Still annoying to have to do it for seemingly no reason, but nice to know there's an easy fix!

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

OK, if it happens again let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know this, enter the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (ends with .1) for the gateway and first DNS. Leave the second one blank.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I have an iPad mini 4, iPad Pro & a iPhone this procedure did not work on. The print and all devices except the iPhone is updated to current firmware and IOS. All devices including the router is within 10 feet circumference of the other. I intentionally left the iPhone at the previous IOS to test accros different IOS's. Do you have another resolution?

HP Recommended

Also, all Apple products are less than 2 months old. I can print from my MacBook Air & PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.