Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Are you seeing a Used or Counterfeit Cartridge msg? (on a genuine HP cartridge)

If so, check out the link below

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03772927

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Ciara_B,

Yes, this is exactly what is happening. The message concerning a counterfiet ink cartridge is extremely annoying and uncalled for by HP. A simple, "Ink level low" message would more than suffice and not create the false message that appears concerning a counterfiet ink cartridge. One could easily assume that HP must also couterfiet their own ink cartridges. I am extremely annoyed with HP and this ink sucking, all-n-1 sorry excuse for a printer. I will donate it to Goodwill and find a more sutable  printer option than his. This printer is only about 4 montyhs old, but I have had all of the abuse that this printer has to offer that I can tolerate. HP USE to make an excellent product. This no longer seems to be the case.

I appreciate your help, Ciara_B. You gave me the correct answer for the problem that I am having.

HP Recommended

@Disenfranchise 

Yea I appreciate the msg is annoying, we've fed back to the messaging team that something like Ink Depleted is more appropriate.

Sorry to hear you're not happy with the printer. With regards to the page yield I would recommend the Instant Ink program for better cost savings (not in all countries though, right now in the US and UK) 

www.instantink.com

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I too am still getting the counterfeit cartridge message although I have always bought "genuine" HP products.

I am fed up with it and the difficulty in communicating with HP. I have tried many times to get this sorted out but with no effect. The cartridges are grossly overpriced but this is true with other manufacturers.

I now will try to use a refilling service (At least the counterfeit message will be justified!!) and if this does not work I will be looking at alternative printers. Does anyone recommend any alternative?

HP Recommended

Yep! another disgruntled HP inkjet cartridge user here (HP Photosmart 5520  printer).  I use only genuine HP cartridges purchased - usually in  the 4 cartridge CYMK pack - purchased nine time out of ten from Tesco.  I get the congratulatory message for using genuine HP cartridges each time I install a new cartridge or set.  Then, when the ink in a cartridge starts to get a bit low, up comes the 'Used or Counterfeit' message .  This has just happened again as the ink in my black cartridge is getting low.  The printer is fairly new and, although I have used HP Printers for more years than I can remember this is the first printer that has been plagued with this problem.

Ken Lines.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.