Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909g
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer is showing this error.  When I turn it off it automatically re-starts, cycles through head cleaning and system checking then, just as you think it is all sorted, back it goes into the error again.

I have tried un-plugging and locating it elsewhere.  I tried turning off the wireless to connect it hard-wired but the loop continues.

I have seen other posts about this error from 2013 and 2014 but don't know if the answer is the same now?  Can you please suggest a fix?  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums @MrsNoName2013😄

I came across your post about the error code issue you're experiencing and wanted to reply to help out with my suggestions. I have a few links to share with you because the error code could be coming up during a network setup, or it could be an ink system or cartridge type of problem. I wanted to cover all bases to try anything and everything. If you are not connecting the printer to a network, then you can disregard the first link and move on to the other links.

If the issue continues after troubleshooting, please try calling phone support to discuss replacing the printer or trading it in. I will include HP's contact info below to reach them directly.

1. The 'Bxxxxxxx' Error Message Appears on the Product During Network Setup
  2. A 'Replace the following empty ink cartridge' Message Displays on the All-in-One After Installing a ...
  3. An 'Alignment failed' Error Message Displays on the Printer Control Panel
  4. 'The Following Printhead Appears to be Missing or Damaged' or 'The Following Printhead has a Problem...

Please click the "Accept as Solution" if we've reached a solution, and the "thumbs up" to say thanks for my help.

Contact HP:
Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear​

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums @MrsNoName2013😄

I came across your post about the error code issue you're experiencing and wanted to reply to help out with my suggestions. I have a few links to share with you because the error code could be coming up during a network setup, or it could be an ink system or cartridge type of problem. I wanted to cover all bases to try anything and everything. If you are not connecting the printer to a network, then you can disregard the first link and move on to the other links.

If the issue continues after troubleshooting, please try calling phone support to discuss replacing the printer or trading it in. I will include HP's contact info below to reach them directly.

1. The 'Bxxxxxxx' Error Message Appears on the Product During Network Setup
  2. A 'Replace the following empty ink cartridge' Message Displays on the All-in-One After Installing a ...
  3. An 'Alignment failed' Error Message Displays on the Printer Control Panel
  4. 'The Following Printhead Appears to be Missing or Damaged' or 'The Following Printhead has a Problem...

Please click the "Accept as Solution" if we've reached a solution, and the "thumbs up" to say thanks for my help.

Contact HP:
Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear​

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions.  I shall try them all and come back to let you know if any fix the problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions.  Here's a quick summary of the results:

1. Network Setup:  This seemed like the most relevant although the error codes were slightly different.  I tried to follow the steps but holding down the Cancel button did not generate a report; instead the efforts were interrupted by the Checking Device and Cleaning Printhead processes which cycled 2 or 3 times and then produced the B87126D0 error message again.  I tried the Wireless Setup Wizard but that also was interrupted in the same way. 

2. Replace ink cartridges solution:  The system did not stay up long enough to follow the proposed steps.  This did not seem to be my problem but I persevered and eventually did get a Self Test Diagnostic report.  It said printhead health was good but identified that my printer is long out of warranty period.  I tried to check Firmware version but HP site only offered a Full Feature Software & Driver install, V 14.8.0, released Aug 4, 2015 and I know I already have that installed.

3. Alignment Failed solution: I got a report printed before going again to the error message B87126D0.  Everything seemed OK except that there was no Cyan on the page.  Cleaning the printhead led to a lot more of the cycling of Checking the Device and Cleaning the Printhead.  The report again showed no Cyand and was followed by the B error.  I got no report at all when trying to print a Print Quality Page, just nore Checking, Cleaning, and the B error.  Calibrating the Linefeed got me a report which looked OK except for no Cyan.  Starting to see a pattern here.  Cleaning the printhead showed dirty contacts and then the Yellow started to disappear as well as there being no Cyan.

4. Printhead fault solution:  Yes, I conclude that there is a problem here based on all previous activity.

I have been having problems with the Cyan ink.  I tried a refilled ink cartridge about 6 weeks ago which was rejected and then I replaced it with a proper HP cartridge It still did not work so I have continued with compromised printing in color but this may be the source of the problem.  Why it worked for 6 weeks before coming up with the B 87126D0 error though I do not know. 

The printer is, however, obviously "old" in hardware supplier terms (first use Dec 2010) and is out of warranty.  I doubt it is worth a service.  I am ordering a new printer and will have it within the week.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.  I think we at least narrowed it down to the printhead problem.  I will mark this answer as Accepted now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.