Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Top Student
Message 1 of 16 (7,073 Views)

B9180 Print Heads Are Missing (not)

Well a search didn't pick up this question already, so I'm curious as to whether anyone has seen it.

I'm using a B9180 connected to my Mac Pro, Mac OS 10.5.5, Firmware version 27A, driver version 2.3.3, connected via Network.

I bought the printer about 7 months ago, and it works pretty well.  But while I'm printing, I regularly get the message in the printer queue window "All print heads are missing, replace all print heads".  The message alternates with another message that just says "Printing...".  But the printer is printing just fine.

I got less than stellar responses from e-mail support, which basically pulled keywords out of my e-mail and tried to tell me how to replace all the print heads, which don't seem to need replacing.  It looks to me like a bug in the driver software.  But e-mail support would have taken a few more dozen iterations (I'm guessing) to get through to a human that took the time to actually read my e-mail and give me a reasonable respone <end gripe>

So I guess my question is: Has anyone else seen this, and/or is it really just a problem with the driver software and/or do I need to worry about this?

Thanks for your help!

-Eric

Student
Message 2 of 16 (7,004 Views)

Re: B9180 Print Heads Are Missing (not)

Hi Eric,

I have almost the same setup as you but on a G5 Mac (10.5.6) and get the same error message all the time, every print job. Very annoying but doesn't seem to affect anything we're doing here, as far as we can tell. Wish I knew what it meant. Hope HP will let us know.

I just ran low on an ink, and a second line of "all print heads are missing" showed up under the first... sounds like a bug to me... 

regards

Richard. 

Master's Graduate
Message 3 of 16 (6,834 Views)

Hello, Not sure if you've tried this or not, but this is where I would start. Remove all the print heads, hard-power cycle (remove power cable and let sit), then reinstall print heads and let the printer go through it's calibration process. If that doesn't work I would then reinstall the SW. I hope this helps.

Miles
HP Employee
Tutor
Message 4 of 16 (5,864 Views)

I too have been getting this on my B9180. Tried all sorts of things - no improvement. If you get this message, usually you cannot print from the speciality tray but only from the main tray which is a real P******r when you want to print on say canvas etc. I had huge reliability problems when I first got the B9180 in April 2007 and had 5 guarantee replacements. The latest one seems to have been reliable until recently when I am now getting pump stall messages. When it dies, which I suspect will be soon, I am not going HP for replacement but will get an Epson Stylus Pro 3800 or if it is out the 3880. Just too many issues with the B9180, although the end results when it does print are very good.

Wilson 

Tutor
Message 5 of 16 (5,785 Views)

I get this message every now and again.  It is usually when I switch from the Main Tray to the Speciality Media Tray or vice versa, or the B1980 thinks I should be using the Speciality Media Tray when I am using the Main Tray. The first time I got it - it frightened the hell out of me.

I mainly ignore it, and if it gets really persistent I just restart the printer and this usually clears it.  I am not sure if some internal part shifts around when change between the two trays (you can hear something make a big clunk inside when you open the Speciality Media Tray) and becasue the B9180 is trying to print to a different tray from the one you've selected it gives this error.

Honor Student
Message 6 of 16 (5,246 Views)

I'm using a MBP 3,1 with OS X 10.6.1 . FW 27A, Driver  v 3.0.1 via Wired Ethernet and have ink in the cartriges.

I've had this same issue since installing Snow Leopard. I've had the printer for almost 2 yrs. I have this problem EVERY time I print and I use the Main tray 95% of the time. When I print, the dock icon has the yellow triangle and I click on it and the print que says Printer ready "all print heads are missing.Please install and snap print heads in completely" Under status, it shows the document as printing.

It always prints but I always get the message. WHY??? I asked an HP printer person at the photo expo in NYC two weeks ago and he wasn't sure but suggested I reset the printing system. As I have 4 printers set up, I'm loathe to do this without a concrete answer.

Student
Message 7 of 16 (5,199 Views)

Same problem here. This problem occurs when I try to print using a wireless ethernet connection (which is pretty useless as the printer drops the connection every 2 minutes) I haven't seen this when using USB connection, tho'. Did you try the remove and replace printhead suggestion here? If so any change? 

Rohan 

Tutor
Message 8 of 16 (5,194 Views)

Well I am giving up now on my HP B9180. It is now reporting multiple print head failures. I am not buying 4 new, very expensive print heads, when i don't know what is going to fail next. I am not going to buy a Canon Pixma Pro 9500 like I am using in our UK base, as it eats ink and the carts are tiny. So for me, I think it is "bite the bullet" and get an Epson Stylus Pro 3880.

Wilson 

Student
Message 9 of 16 (3,466 Views)

I hade the same problem. What I did is pull out each print head and clean out the 2 contact pins on the front of each print head. They are the pins in the front that click into the contact holes. You should notice that the contact pins are covered with ink. I wiped those down and stuck a thin paperclip into the contact pin holes. There should be a lot of ink that comes out as you push the paper clip up and down and around. I had to do this several times  and reinstall the printheads. Unplugged and replugged the printer in. Then only one printhead was missing. I keep cleaning it until all the printheads showed and the printer ran through the initialization process.

I believe the problem, just like most other problems with this stupid piece of s$@t printer, is related to the excessive ink waste splatters on everything except for the paper where it all should be going while saving on ink. This printer sucks. I'll never purchase another HP product.

Tutor
Message 10 of 16 (3,440 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the tip but, I am still not convinced this problem is the actual printheads. I ocasionally got this message in the past (as I posted above), which I ignored, but since upgrading to 10.6 I get it every time I print (ethernet connection).

If the printheads were actually missing or covered in ink, would I not have bad prints? My prints are still gorgeous.  I think its more likely to be driver related.  Why does the problem go away when you switch to USB as robar2 said?

This printer has been discontinued by HP so there will be no new drivers or firmware updates, so unless I want to jump through hoops, not use ethernet, or do what stevelnyc said I am stuck with this annoying message.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation