Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5530
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hello,

For some reason the black ink does not print for my HP ENVY 5530. I followed the prompts as HP suggested (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03743678); however, it still does not print in black.  I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software for the printer. Both the CMY and black cartridges are fairly new (a few weeks old). I attached a photograph of the "Print Quality Diagnostic Report." (Please ignore the slightly gray box shape - I was simply trying to save paper and used the back of an old print.) Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Just a FYI, this printer is already past warranty. 

hp_printsample0003.jpg

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi @spartanrunner,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I noticed that your HP Envy 5530 will not print black. I am happy to look into this printing issue for you! 

Are you using Genuine HP Ink Cartridges, or refills? 

Are any of your Ink Cartridges, low or empty? 

Please, try the steps within this print quality guide, Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages, and let me know what happens! 

Hope this guide is helpful, and hope to hear from you soon! :generic:

“Please click the Thumbs up icon below to thank me for responding.”

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Hello @RnRMusicMan

I am using genuine HP cartridges that we only had for maybe 1 or 2 months. Did I print anything? Nope, nothing. The only thing printed was whatever that needed to be printed during the HP suggestions. As mentioned in my original post, I have followed all of HP suggestions of their website and no luck.  I'm pretty much fed up with ths printer considering that it's only barley a year old and yet it doesn't work.

HP Recommended
Mine does the exact same thing. It will print color just fine. I have purchased new cartridges and it still will not work. If anyone has a solution, please let me know. This printer has never worked correctly and has, so far, been a waste of money.
HP Recommended

Same issue here.  Color works fine but black ink doesn't.  Everything worked fine for the first 6 months and then the black ink stopped so have been using the color which gets expensive.  Haven't had the unit for a year yet and HP is stating it is out of warranty at 11 months.  With the number of folks having the same issue it sounds like a manufacturers defect.

HP Recommended

I'm still having the same problem as before. One printer only prints in color and the other printer only prints in black and white.  I had no luck getting a response from HP. So, I'm just using these printers until they completely run out of whatever ink and will be buying a new printer from a new company. 

HP Recommended
Hi Everyone, 

Please, try the steps within this print quality guide, Color or Black Ink Not Printing, and let me know what happens! 

If that does not help, the printer will need to be serviced/or replaced. Please contact HP phone support for further assistance. (After you fill out the information, you will be given a phone number.) If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Country-language selector.

Thank you for posting, and have a nice day! 🙂
RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

i have had the same problem for months

I have spoken to hp numerous times and they have replaced the printer twice

It conintues to not work with 60xl which worked previously

now the newest printer they sent will not go beyond printing the first page of the alignment step--this is with only a color 61 cartridge and just spins and then if i hit cancle will not even shut off until i literally pull the plug

Never have they sent any ink with new printers although i asked several times

i have only ever used HP new 61 and 60xl cartriges 

the original printer worked with 60xl until i ran out of ink and bought new

NOTHING will print now

i believe there is a software problem that HP is not owning up to  and that they need to fix this and return the money I have spent on two 60xl color cartridges and three 60xl black cartridges and one 61 color cartridge 

I want a diffent model printer that uses xl cartidges 

this is a hp 5530 and I am using mac osx weith most up to date software!!

HP Recommended
Hi julia57,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.
RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

No one has tried to contact me at all

[Personal Information Removed]

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.