Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I cannot insert new black ink (564) into original black in spot (564 setup)on the left side of ink carriage, because new cartridge is wider than original. I already inserted a 564XL black ink into the black ink slot on the far right side of carriage. Printer would not work with only one black cartridge, so I bought a 2nd 564 Black ink cartridge to install on far left side of cartridge (but it won't fit). 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

To understand your issue better, can you please provide me the model number of your printer?

Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs up icon in the post
Please mark reply as "Accept as Solution" if it solved the problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
HP Recommended

My printer is an HP Photosmart 7520. There was a typo in me earlier note...inside the printer is a carriage holding 5 ink cartridges: 4 narrow cartridges (Black, Red, Blue, Yellow) and one wider cartridge (Black XL). The first black cartridge (on the far left) is labeled  "564 setup" and was in the printer when it was purchased. I am trying to replace it, so I put in a 564 black ink cartridge, but the slot is too slim for it to fit. The Black XL cartridge that I put into the slot on the far right is noticeably wider than the others, but the regular 564 is narrow. There are no other sizes in the Staples store to choose from. Not sure how to refill the black ink, and the printer will not work with only one black cartridge.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the model number and additional information.

The cartridge on the far left is called Photo Cartridge. You need to install a replacement photo cartridge in that slot. See the document below to understand the difference between the black and photo cartridges:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01839024

The two cartridges have different label icons on the packaging and on the cartridge. This will help you identify the correct cartridge in the store.

Alternately, please visit the link below to order the photo cartridge online:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02944025

If you are in United States, click on the link for HP Home and Home Office Store. Choose the option 'HP 564 Photo Original Ink Cartridge'.

Please mark reply as "Accept as Solution" if it solved the problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

I too have a HP 7520 e-All In One Printer and our setup ink has run out.  All the replacement black ink cartridges (HP564) are too fat for the far left slot that housed the setup cartridge. What are you suppose to put in that slot?  We use the HP564 and the HP564  xL cartridges in the far right slot and have never used photo cartridges.  We can still print with black, but think it is weird that the slim cartridge does not have a replacement. 

All the replacement color cartridges, including those marked xL are slim cartridges and fit easily in their assigned slots.

Are we to continue to print keeping the setup cartridge in place and empty? 

The above replies did not give me a clear answer about what cartridge to replace the original with. 

When I do a search on the hp site to find a 'replacement 567 black setup cartridge' I am taken to the page listed below.  In the photo the cartridge looks slim; when I purchase it at the store it is not slim.  What are we to do?

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/search-SimpleOfferSearch?PageSize=15&search=&SearchTe...

HP Recommended

The Photosmart 7520 all-in-one uses five cartridges. They are 1) Photo 2)Cyan 3)Magenta 4)Yellow and 5)Black.

The cartridge on the far left is called Photo Cartridge and the cartridge on far right is Black cartridge.

The Photo cartridge has a 'Camera' symbol on the packaging. This should help you identify Photo cartridge in the future. Here are the links to order regular fill and XL fill Photo cartridge:

Regular Fill:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Ink_Toner_Paper/HP-Ink/CB317WN?HP-564-Photo-...

XL fill:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Ink_Toner_Paper/HP-Ink/CB322WN;pgid=jbZQ_Lmp...

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

THE EMPLOYEE OF HP, ACTING ON HIS OWN, THAT POSTED THAT THE 7520 INK CARRIAGE HAS THE PHOTO INK CARTRIDGE ON THE LEFT OR POSITION 1 READING FROM LEFT TO RIGHT IS NOT CORRECT.

THE 1ST POSITION READING FROM LEFT TO RIGHT CONTAINS OF THE INK CARRIER, HAS THE NARROW 564 ORIGINAL CARTRIDGE, WITH BOWTIE INSIGNIA, IS  USED FOR TYPING NOT PHOTOS. THE WIDER 564XL CARTRIDGE WITH OCTAGON INSIGNIA IS POSITIONED IN THE CARRIER TO THE EXTREME RIGHT IS USED FOR PHOTOS.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. THE CARTRIDGE WITH THE BOWTIE INSIGNIA IS THE BLACK INK CARTRIDGE IN POSITION #1 IS NARROWER. THEY ARE  NO LONGER AVAIABLE AT STAPLES OR BEST BUY WHERE I PURCHASED THE PRINTER 15 MONTHS AGO.

MY PRINTER IS ALSO INOPERATIVE.

I HOPE SOMEONE HAS A CORRECTIVE WORK AROUND FOR THIS PROBLEM.

HP Recommended

Has anyone let you know what cartridge to use, I had ordered some off ebay 1 time before and they sent the correct cartridges, 4 slim 564 XL black, cyan, magenta and yellow and 1 wider black one that goes in the far right which is the black photo cartridge, it is NOT on the left so I have no clue what this "person" is talking about, they obviously do not know.. so now I have 3 slim 564 XL cyan, magenta and yellow and TWO wide black, so now I am without the black printer ink cartridge??

HP Recommended
I made the decision to purchase a different computer as i could no longer awsit the unraveling asbto the ill informed Staples personnel. They only stocked the 564xl black for photos. Likewise with Bestbuy.

They advised they were unaware of the problem.
HP Recommended

Is the small photo black cartridge for the 7520 series made anymore?  The ones purchased from HP are too wide.

@megkam wrote:

I cannot insert new black ink (564) into original black in spot (564 setup)on the left side of ink carriage, because new cartridge is wider than original. I already inserted a 564XL black ink into the black ink slot on the far right side of carriage. Printer would not work with only one black cartridge, so I bought a 2nd 564 Black ink cartridge to install on far left side of cartridge (but it won't fit). 

I am having the same problem.  Are these narrow photo black cartrides made anymore?  Otherwise the printer doesn't allow copies.  Filling them at Costco is the only way I have found to keep the printer working but they do not last.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.