Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Photosmart C4480 All-in-One. When I print anything on photo paper using the black ink it rubs off the paper. It is a genuine HP 74 cartridge. It makes no difference how long I have left the printed paper to dry. I have seen other posts about this problem but with different printers to mine. Is this an ink problem.? Has anyone encountered this also.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The pigmented black ink in the 74 cartridge is not compatible with photo paper.  If you select the proper paper type in the driver settings the black cartridge will not be used, it will automatically use the 75 color cartridge to print the black areas.  For better prints with certain photo's (such as B&W or prints with detailed very dark areas replacing the 74 with a 99 Photo or 100 Photo gray cartridge could give better results.  See the information here for more details of the various options.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my HP Officejet J4580 using 901 cartridges.  I am using Kodak Ultimate Picture Paper too. 

Anyone have ideas?

Jan

HP Recommended

The same problem and the same answer - make sure the proper paper type is set in the driver.  The pigmented black ink is not compatible with photo paper.  If you select photo paper the printer will mix the color ink for the black areas.  Be aware that the Kodak photo paper tends to take a long time to dry, perhaps several days depending on your envoronment.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I own the HP deskjet 3510 e- All-in-one printer and i get the same problem with the ink cartridge HP 61 black. Do you have any suggestions for mine?? Please email me back at {Personal Information Removed}

HP Recommended

@jpclark987 wrote:

I own the HP deskjet 3510 e- All-in-one printer and i get the same problem with the ink cartridge HP 61 black. Do you have any suggestions for mine?? Please email me back at {Personal Information Removed}

Same problem, same answer.  The pigmented black ink is not compatible with photo paper.  If you select the proper paper type in the driver settings color ink will be used to make black.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with the ink rubbing off, I have a HP deskjet 2542 using HP 301 😞 Not a happy bunny. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.