Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp officejet 4620

I was making copies when the black ink stopped printing. The other colors are working just fine.  I did not get any messages nor warning that my ink was low.  So I checked the levels using the computer and it showed that the black ink was low, but not low enough to stop printing black ink. But I went ahead an  I replaced that cartridge with a new one, because I really didn't have time to mess with this, I needed to get the copies done.  Still no black ink print.  I went online and read about troubleshooting.  I cleaned the heads, nothing, I checked to make sure that no paper was obstructing the ink and the cartridge, nothing and nothing.  I read one comment where the person took everything apart.  I'm not mechanical enogh to do that, nor should I have to.  Read where if you're using a conterfiet hp ink cartridge, that could be the problem. I veritifed that the cartridgei was using  was genuine HP product, which is all I've ever used.  It veried that it was.  I've even unpluged, waited and repluged everthing.  I really do hate to sound like I'm complaining, and I realize that the printer is out of warranty, but seriously this is annoying and a lot of what I'm reading is that this is a software issue.  Well, if it is, why hasn't someone come up with a fix??  If this can't be fixed easily, and quickly, I'm going to have to buy a new printer, and I really don't want to, butI can tell you that depending on the answer that I get, will determine on whether it will be another hp printer.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

[Edit - the issue is not software related. That misconception may be caused by the fact that the test page may appear to be printing in black though the user pages will not.  This is because the test page prints using a mixture of black and color inks to the page can be read even if black does not print properly.  

You can do a software workaround as follows:  select Photo Glossy media in the driver.  This will force the use of color ink to print (even black text) because the pigmented black ink is not compatible with glossy photo media.]

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve black not printing on your Officejet 4620.  

If the standard troubleshooting did not resolve black not printing I would suggest removing the black cartridge.  Turn it over and examine the area around the ink port.  There are four orange plastic spots, left over from the protective cap.  Make sure these are flush with the cartridge body, if not carefully trim them flush.  If the plastic nubs protrude they can prevent the cartridge from seating properly.  Before replacing the cartridge in the printer dribble a few (maybe four) drops of hot water into the ink port in the printer and two drops into the ink port on the cartridge then snap the cartridge back in position.  

It may also help to manually clean the printhead as described in the post here. 

I have also seen cases where leaving the printer overnight after the cleaning cycles allows black to recover.

If none of the above restores black printing your printer will likely require repair or replacement.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.