Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Ecommbuy 

Did you see the other thread on this?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/Re-Black-not-printing/m-p/3464979

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

:HalfEyes: HP6520 is four months out of warranty and will no longer print Black even though a new 564XL cartridge (expiration date 01/2014) was just installed.  I tried print head cleaning and head alignment multiple times with no success.  Frustrated and angry with HP print products - expensive ink that cannot be used. 

Question:  Does anyone know if print cartridge expiration date can be causing this problem?  I read on an internet forum that (for newer printers) there is a micro chip in the cartridge that is in sync with a "clock" in the printer.  Supposedly when the cartridge expiration date hits, the printer automatically disables the cartridge to prevent outdated ink from contaminating the print head.  Sounds a little far-fetched, but who knows. 

Thanks.                

HP Recommended

@davewill0325 wrote:

Smiley Mad HP6520 is four months out of warranty and will no longer print Black even though a new 564XL cartridge (expiration date 01/2014) was just installed.  I tried print head cleaning and head alignment multiple times with no success.  Frustrated and angry with HP print products - expensive ink that cannot be used. 

Question:  Does anyone know if print cartridge expiration date can be causing this problem?  I read on an internet forum that (for newer printers) there is a micro chip in the cartridge that is in sync with a "clock" in the printer.  Supposedly when the cartridge expiration date hits, the printer automatically disables the cartridge to prevent outdated ink from contaminating the print head.  Sounds a little far-fetched, but who knows. 

Thanks.                

The problem you are having is not due to an ink expiration date chip.  While some older products did enforce ink expiration dates to protect the permamant printheads, that does not apply to the Photosmart 6520.  Information on ink expiration can be found in the document here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
Bob, Thanks for the quick response. I won't waste any more time and $ on new cartridges. So, based on my symptoms, this is a printer design issue and I now have a nice boat anchor?
HP Recommended

@davewill0325 wrote:
Bob, Thanks for the quick response. I won't waste any more time and $ on new cartridges. So, based on my symptoms, this is a printer design issue and I now have a nice boat anchor?

I would suggest the troubleshooting steps in this document, be sure to check the vent as shown in Solution Three.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

FACE THE FACT THAT THIS PROBLEM CAN NOT BE FIXED.SCRAP CAN IS THE BEST IDEA

HP Recommended

CARTRIRGE IS NOT THE PRBEM IT IS HP .

HP Recommended

Thx again.  Cartridge vents are clean - problem persists. 

Looks like it's time to scrap this unit - definitely an "Edsel" for HP.  Used to be their printers were good, but now going down hill fast. 

Anyone who has evaluated other home printer manufacturer/options, please post recommendations.  I'll do the same. 

Thanks.           

HP Recommended

I suggest you Contact HP (1-800-HPINVENt in the US) and ask about options.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Hi Bobwhit,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. Please be courteous and respectful to the other posters.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.