Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Just purchased a new Officejet 7612, been wanting a printer with the capability of scanning and printing 11x17 which is what attracted me to this (as well as how far the prices have come down on large format printers in recent years).  This printer replaces an Officejet 7310 that finally gave up the ghost. 

I have been putting the printer through its paces this weekend to try to make sure everything works and I have found an issue.  I am unable to select borderless 4x6 photo paper when I try to print out photos.  I am running Windows 8.1 on my desktop, and am still using the same photo printing software that I was using for the 7310, which is the Office 2010 Photo Manager.  When the 7310 was working, I could select 4x6 borderless paper from the pull down menu of the different paper choices.  Now with the 7612, I can select 4x6 paper, but borderless is not an option.  That means when I print photos, I get a 1/8" to 1/4" white border around the photo.  Is the 7612 driver not setup for borderless printing?  Yes, the paper type selection is HP premium photo paper, since that is what I am using, although I have tried the other photo paper selections and still no selection for borderless printing. 

TIA for your help,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Fixed.  I used the chat function on this site to talk to an HP tech.  He took remote control of my computer and re-installed the driver and went through the setup and now its printer borderless photos, at least for 4x6. 

I think I what he did differently from me is to change the printer from Fax to Printer in the "Printing Preferences" while in the Printer and Devices Window.  I think that may be where I made my mistake, in that even though it printed hardcopies, it used the fax settings which apparently do not allow borderless printing.  So anyone who notices this problem with their 7612, I would try that first.

Paul

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

My suggestion: use the software which came with the new printer now.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

What software?  The print driver should allow me to print borderless photos from any photo software that I use, which in this case is a MS product, not an HP product, which I had been using with my previous printer.  I was hoping that there was an updated driver or some setting within the driver to allow me to be able to select borderless printing.  The 7310's print driver allowed me to print borderless photos with any photo software. 

The only software that I received, other than the basic "HP Officejet Series 7610" that really is only good for checking ink levels and print statuses, was HP Photo Creations and that still won't allow me to print borderless, their print preview clearly shows a similar border around the photo as I get from MS Office Picture Manager. 

If this printer is not capable of printing borderless photos, then I just want to know that.  If that is it's only weakness, I can live with that, I will just need to get a second printer for photos, if that is the case. 

Also, I forgot to say in my original post that I have it connected to the desktop via a USB cable and am not using wifi.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul.

You may need to select borderless printing in the advanced settings of your printer. Please see the image below for an example of that on a Photosmart 7510. In HP Photo Creations, you can access your printer's advanced controls by clicking Printer Controls on the printing screen.

Our customer support team can help. You can reach them at www.hp.com/go/supportform 

Thanks for posting,

RocketLife 

Borderless Printing HPPC

RocketLife, developer of HP Photo Creations
HP Recommended

Thank you Rocket.  I do not get the "Printer Features" shown in your screen capture and none of the other settings even offer the borderless printing as an option.  I will use the link you provided if I can't get it to work under the Administrator account on my home computer.  I don't know if everyone does this, but I keep a separate account for Admin and one for general use to minimize viruses and other hacking.  The only thing I can think of at this point is that I have not given permission to select that option to my general account, yet.  Failing that, I'll contact HP support. 

After my response yesterday, I seem to recall seeing on HP's website, if I am not mistaken, they have a photo of the printer printing borderless to a large format paper like the front side of a brochure, so I suspect the printer is supposed to be capable of it.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul.

You're right: The 7612 does promise borderless printing:

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/hp-officejet-7612-wide-format-e-all-in-one

So if you can get to the advanced panel, you should be able to turn borderless printing on. You may be able to select borderless printing directly from the HP Photo Creations  paper menu as well.

borderless

Hope this helps,

RocketLife 

RocketLife, developer of HP Photo Creations
HP Recommended

RL,

Thank you for the confirmation.  I am able to access the Advanced Panel, however, there is no selection for borderless printing of any size.  I have tried under the Admin account as well as under my normal account and I cannot find any setting that would allow this.  I wonder if the borderless printing is only for OSX?

Regardless, I used your link to send a help request directly to HP.

Edit:  I should say that I select "HP Advanced Photo Paper" as the "Paper Type" before trying to select borderless printing.  The OJ 7310 that I had would not offer borderless printing unless you selected some kind of photo paper as the Paper Type.  With the 7612, the paper size selection is exactly the same as using normal paper.

HP Recommended

Fixed.  I used the chat function on this site to talk to an HP tech.  He took remote control of my computer and re-installed the driver and went through the setup and now its printer borderless photos, at least for 4x6. 

I think I what he did differently from me is to change the printer from Fax to Printer in the "Printing Preferences" while in the Printer and Devices Window.  I think that may be where I made my mistake, in that even though it printed hardcopies, it used the fax settings which apparently do not allow borderless printing.  So anyone who notices this problem with their 7612, I would try that first.

Paul

HP Recommended

Seems like HP have not properly addressed this issue in around two years since this topic was first posted. I have recently purchased Officejet 7612. I too wish to have the ability to print borderless on A4, A3, and A3+ (sometimes refered to as Super B)

Firstly let me say, I have been involved in computers, software and just about every type of printer known to human kind for over 30 years. ( from basic inkjets, through lasers and even A0 HP pen plotters for plotting architectural drawings.)

I have owned an Epson A3+ printer for a dozen or more years and it has printed what the specs says it will print from day one of ownership. The combination of 64bit operating systems on my new computer and Epsons ceasation of driver support means that I can no longer use this printer. So I purchased an HP 7612 thinking it would give me the capability I needed.

My new 7612 printer does NOT PRINT BORDERLESS ON EITHER A4, A3 OR A3+.

No matter what paper type and paper size I enter into the printer preferences this printer always prints with a margin on the bottom and right hand side of the paper. The blank margins always show on the print preview screen.

This shows A3 borderless set up. 2nd image shows unwanted bottom and right border. 3rd image shows Bordelees selected in advanced settings.

Image1a.jpg

Image2a.jpg

Image3a.jpg

Surely in 2016, we should be able to expect a consumer product to perform as per the specifications. The 7612 specs tell me that it can handle AND print up to A3+ borderless or edge to edge. (That's 329 x 483mm or 13 x 19 inches).

I've contacted HP help via the Chat line and to be honest, I feel as if I'm starting to get the runaround. Firstly, the support tech acts as if this is a completely new issue and tells me that the will pass the problem on the "Engineering Group and that they will "give me a call back in a couple of days". Secondly, I contact another support tech after waiting a week and tell them I was promised a call back. Guess what ? I'm told they will pass on the issue to the Engineering group etc etc.

IF HP HAVE NO INTENTION OF FIXING THIS PROBLEM FOR CUSTOMERS, THEN WHY WON'T THEY RE-WRITE THE SPECS TO REFLECT WHAT THE PRINTER CAN ACTUALLY DO ?

I am an eternal optimist. If there is anybody out there that has an ACTUAL FIX for this issue ? I'd love to hear back. I'm all ears.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.