Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Photosmart C310

Hi all,

my C310 started to print badly, some cartridges don't print at all even if they have been recently replaced. Tried to clean printheads, no result. Buyed printhead sparepart CN642A, cleaned printer contacts and installed new printhead, no result.

Everything is still striped as it was before.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Mattia

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

You mention the print is striped.  Are there light areas running through black or all the colors?  If so the issue is likely an electrical connection issue between the printer and the printhead.  I would suggest removing the printhead and cleaning the printhead and printer electrical contacts with a lint free wipe.  A damp clean coffee filter works well for this.

It may help to print a diagnostic page as shown below.  If there are any defects in the diagnostic page please described what you see or scan the upper part of the page (without the serial number) and post it here.

Step one: Print a Print Quality Diagnostic Report

1. Load plain white paper in the input tray.
  2. On the printer control panel, touch the Setup icon (), and then touch Tools.
  3. Touch Print Quality Report. The Print Quality Diagnostic Report prints.

Figure : Print Quality Diagnostic Report example
    Graphic: Print Quality Diagnostic Report

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob,

thank you for your quick reply.

I did clean the electrical contacts before installing the new printhead; however, I will try to clean them better.

Please see here below the Print Quality Diagnostic Report I printed after installing the new printhead.

IMG_20170321_135138 small.jpg

Black is totally absent (the black you see is photographic black), while other cartridges print striped.

Other info: Alignment fails as the alignment print shows only cyan ink.

Thank you for your support,

Mattia

HP Recommended

The issue you have does not appear to be an electrical issue, it would appear ink is not getting to the printhead properly.  Do you have plenty of ink in the cartridges?  If so I would suggest running three printhead cleaning steps in succession, then print (and post here) a new print quality diagnostic.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob, I have runned printhead cleaning three times as suggested, then printed the quality report again. Please see the result below. Black ink still seems dried out.

IMG_20170322_232745.jpg

HP Recommended

What are the dates on the ink cartridges, black as well as the colors?  Are these HP supplies or refill/reman? Was the printhead obtained from HP or a third party?

What are the ink levels?

The test page looks better, but I would have expected at least the colors to be printing fine after three cleaning cycles.  Black not working is certainly a concern.  I would suggest going through the troubleshooting steps in the document here once again, up through step nine.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Bob,

expiration dates on the cartridges are ok, they are all original HP cartridges, the black one was brand new when the problem first appeared.

I've gone through the steps till #9 as suggested, with no results.

Now the color cartridges have run out of ink, so I'm thinking to replace them (don't know what else I can do), but the only one that doesn't print at all is the black one, which is the newest and has ink level at half capacity.

Thanks

Mattia

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.