Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi guys,

I'll keep this brief because I know many have the same problem.

My C8180 is giving the dreaded Ink System Failure message.

Full error: "Ink system has failed.  Unable to print.  Refer to printer documentation.  Error: 0xc18a0001.  Turn power off, then on again"

If I do the hardware status reset via the secret menu, I'm able to print one print absolutely perfectly.

After that one print it automatically does a head clean thing (all the noises) and then wont print again (next print attempt gives the above errror).

If i reset again - I can print one time fine (either a full colour copy with lots of colours, a self test or a print alignment via the menu).

It's 2 years old so out of warranty, but I'm fuming that HP support tell me to throw it in the bin because the print head isn't replaceable!

I've tried replacing all the ink cartidges too.

PLEASE help!

Thanks

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Scratch that... I FIXED IT!

Here's my solution which I hope will help some other people.

OK because the printer was capable of printing ONE print fine after doing the hardware reset (via the secret menu), I ascertained that the print head was indeed functioning fine.  It was only when it tried to clean itself that it developed the "problem".

So, I did one print... but it was a Word document  FULL of colours (just a whole page of coloured blocks).  I printed in high quality to use the most ink.

This appears to have cleaned the heads by running lots of ink through.  Next time it tried to clean itself it didn't give the error.

I know, I should work for HP  😄

Good luck out there, there is hope.

Matt

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Scratch that... I FIXED IT!

Here's my solution which I hope will help some other people.

OK because the printer was capable of printing ONE print fine after doing the hardware reset (via the secret menu), I ascertained that the print head was indeed functioning fine.  It was only when it tried to clean itself that it developed the "problem".

So, I did one print... but it was a Word document  FULL of colours (just a whole page of coloured blocks).  I printed in high quality to use the most ink.

This appears to have cleaned the heads by running lots of ink through.  Next time it tried to clean itself it didn't give the error.

I know, I should work for HP  😄

Good luck out there, there is hope.

Matt

HP Recommended

Hi Matt, glad to hear it's solved. I'll bear this in mind when there are other folks with this error message....

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I'm so glad to read your answer, as I have experienced the same problem  Very frustrating.  But please tell me

what the secret menu is & how to print the one page.

thank you.

HP Recommended

1. Press and Hold the “Print Photos” & “Red Eye Removal” buttons.  Release both buttons. Display should say “Enter Special Key Combo”
2. Press and release in sequence “Red Eye Removal”, “Print Photos”, “Red Eye Removal” 
3. Press and release the right arrow button until the display says “System Configuration Menu”. Go into that submenu.
4. Display should say “Hardware failure status”. Press OK to clear

HP Recommended

re: step #3: is the arrow button on the printer? If so ...... well .... where ...?

HP Recommended
on touch screen
HP Recommended

I've followed your instructions. It keeps going back to the hardware failure screen. I press OK to clear it, then it says to press cancel to continue, then it goes back to hardware failure screen. If the printer has been rebooted to get it to print that one print job so many of us have been experiencing, will all have to be cleared or is this problem more serious than others have been experiencing? Thanks for any help. This is my second HP Photosmart printer with this issue and I'm concerned it will mean I won't buy HP again if it continues.

HP Recommended
Had same problem as you, but my printer eventually cleared and I was able to print one black copy. It took three color copies to get a clear copy, but your directions were exactly correct! Thanks so much. I was lost until I saw these posts.
HP Recommended

Found this elsewhere and tried it and it worked for me.

--------------------------------------

Step Two for C8180: NVM Reset
1. Unplug the power cord from the back of the HP All-in-One.
2. Wait for the unit to go to the sleep mode. Wait for 60 seconds.
3. Press and hold Print Photos & Photo Fix (below this is actually the "red eye removal")
buttons simultaneously on the control panel; keep them pressed and reconnect the power cord to the All-in-One.
4. Continue pressing the buttons until the display goes blank or Reset shows on the control panel display.

• Nikolai says:

Thank you so much for this useful comment baudav. It is really appreciated.

• Tammy says:

Hello Nikolai,
      All-in-One C6180 will not acknowledge new ink cartridge. Have tried every reset I can find on web. uninstalled and reinstall with cd. Will not print. Have been working on this for 3 days now. Please Help!

• jsaunders says:

I do not have a photo fix on my c8180 photosmart? I have tried above fixes but has not worked. Do you have any other suggestions? I am just days out of warranty which is extremely frustrating.

• jsaunders says:

I tried holding down the red eye removal button and the print photos button and it seems to have worked!! Thanks for sharing this fix. Really appreciate it!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.