Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi Reverse Talk

Thank you for your time and work on this problem

I have carefully followed the instructions that you provided and the photo tray is running freely.

I have been stymied by the fact that the paper tray preference defaults back to the Main Tray when printing from the photo app.

I was however able to override this by using originating photos outside the app. On the two occasions that this happened the photo tray moved freely to the back of the cabinet at the start of the printing cycle but the 4x6 sheet was not picked up and I was again informed both on the printer and on the my laptop screen that I was out of paper. (In which tray I do not know, but am assuming main tray)

I have little knowledge of these things but I feel that this is not a mechanical problem but a case of the envoy printer being unable to act on instructions or preferences.

HP Recommended

And so in the absence of any response, I must conclude that after 6 months of discussion on the forum, it must now be evident to all contributors that the Envy 5540 does not work according to the manufacturers specifications insofar as in the cases cited here, it is completely incapable of printing from the 4x6 photo tray even when that preference setting has been saved or the main paper tray emptied (and I crossed my fingers and tried balancing on one leg)

I think it's a strong possibility that HP have known this all along.

Why am I not surprised?

HP Recommended

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your patience. I brought it to an engineer's attention. I am still waiting to hear back. Hope to keep you posted with something soon.

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.
HP Recommended

Thanks, that's good to know

HP Recommended

Hi Mike,

I just wanted to drop in to tell you I haven't forgotten about you.

The ENVY 5540 team is investigating this issue. I have sent several reminders letting them know I am waiting for an answer, so they know I'm not going away. 🙂

I did a little more digging myself (since they told me they might have more information for me early next week), and I'm wondering if these steps might possibly help:

From the photo, once you select the printer & paper, you have to go into the OPTIONS, then printer properties, then go to the Paper/Quality tab, then to the Paper Source and manually select the specific tray (Main Tray/Photo Tray).

Thanks for your patience, and I'm sorry I don't have answers for you yet. Happy Friday!

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.
HP Recommended

Yes thanks, I understand all that. In my Windows 7 I also have to go to "Advanced" and reset the paper size. But my greatest question regards the apparent necessity to remove all the paper from the tray that I don't want to use, which causes it to be impossible to operate the printer solely from my PC.

HP Recommended

I am also having this problem with the 5540 printer. Runnign windows 10. Tried taking out the A4 paper and using just the photo paper and it doesnt work. Ive also noticed int he win10 printing preferences, under paper qulaity it wont let you specify different paper for source. i.e. Photo Tray and MAin tray. If you change one the other changes as well.  I tried your sugestion of changint to photo paper. When i print it just says out of paper - i think its still trying to print to main tray.

HP Recommended

Hi RT

No, my selection in  printer options will be overridden by the printer which messages me that it is out of paper no matter if one, or other, or both trays are full.

Exactly what David and Joebhoy are saying.

HP Recommended

Unless HP can fix this problem for everyone very soon, they are going to permanently lose many customers for all their products. It's amazing how quickly word will spread around that they are selling faulty products. My ENVY printer now has developed an additional problem - despite double checking all the settings, the printer will only print part of one out of many pages of a pdf document, and it then simply stops without offering any message at all. This happens time after time. Incidentally I am not an amateur user, having been an inaugural member of the Australian Computer Society some 50 or more years ago and an intensive computer user ever since.

HP Recommended

The link to the instructions doesn't work any more.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.