Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm super frustrated. I've spent hours fighting the problem. Paper loaded corecctly. Photo tray preference set correctly. Software installed and re-installed. Printer will not print from photo tray. I would think HP shoud have a solution as I note that others have the same problem.

Should I give up. Can I return the printer to HP? 

Then what? What can I buy that will work? Another HP? I have had great respect for HP printers over the years but I am learning to hate this one.

HP Recommended

@rjhildreth wrote:

Didn't work.

Tried just loading thephoto tray with no paper in the main tray. Printer and computer screen said  "out of paper".

I'm super frustrated. I've spent hours fighting the problem. Paper loaded corecctly. Photo tray preference set correctly. Software installed and re-installed. Printer will not print from photo tray. I would think HP shoud have a solution as I note that others have the same problem.

Should I give up. Can I return the printer to HP? 

Then what? What can I buy that will work? Another HP? I have had great respect for HP printers over the years but I am learning to hate this one.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. I am very familair with HP printer and laptops and used to work there. I follwed the instructions to a T and it will not print from the photo tray. This seems like an option they out in here but does not work at all. It will print photos from main tray- just a lot of wasted photo paper and not the product it was supposed to be.

HP Recommended

Hello @SJOhelp,

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you are unable to print from the photo tray. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

This model only supports 4 x 6 photo paper in the photo tray.

I believe on this model, on the actual printer's display, you also have to select the photo tray. If you open and close the main tray, you should get a message on the display.

Double check that the print driver is selected on 4 x 6 and from the application that you are printing from, go to File, Page Setup and check to see what paper type is also selected.

Page 22 of the manual provides the information for checking the settings for the photo tray: Envy 5540.

You can click on the "Accept as Solution" if the issue is resolved and the "Thumbs Up" for my effort. Please keep me posted. Good Luck! 

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I'm having this problem as well. I change the settings in the windows 10 phot app and when i select print it give me a message "Photo Tray was changed due to a conflict with another setting".

This just started with my new windows 10 laptop.

HP Recommended

Same Issue here....I've followed the instructions, and have also followed all things noted here in the forum and I am also getting the notificaiton "Printer out of paper", when the only paper in the thing is the HP Photo Paper in the photo tray....is there any resolution to this?

thanks

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. I have been able to print from the photo tray but all of a sudden can't.

On the settings for paper choices, 4x6 photo has disappeared. On the advanced settings, the photo choices are locked.

I have removed plain paper from the letter tray and changed the setting directly from the printer and on the computer, all to no avail.

This must be a bug on this model.

HP please fix this.

HP Recommended

I  repeatedly have the same problem, which seems to be quite widespread and a fundamental design fault. And HP had the nerve to want to charge me $25 for a solution from Technical Support. I have always used HP printers (for many years) and I know that my photo paper was loaded correctly and the settings were correct. Yet I repeatedly got an "out of paper" message. It seems to me possible that after you have pushed the photo tray right in to the back firstly there is no clip or such keeping it there and secondly the slightest vibration when you successfully print one photo is enough to move the photo tray slightly away from the back, giving you an "out of paper" message when you try to print your next photo. The only solution I have discovered, assuming that it will continue to work, is to open up and push the photo tray right back for each and every single photo. That is, to say the least, a completely unacceptable technology. Also if that is the problem, the message should read "photo tray not fully back to rear".  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Greetings!!@David1936

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am looking forward to hearing from HP. One other possible solution is to keep pressing OK on both my computer screen and printer screen, which eventually seems to overcome the problem and the photo gets printed, but (to repeat myself) that is very poor technology if it is required.

The problem re-occurred yesterday, meaning that it is a daily occurrence.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.