Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have an all-in-one 6310 Officejet. I print only in black ink and my color cartridge is finally empty. Is there a way to bypass the error message I am getting? The printer will not print anything right now. I am ready to toss this thing and get a Lexmark!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The cartrdige being empty would not cause printing to be blocked on this model, but if it has failed electrically you will get that message.  Cleaning the cartridge contacts as shown here may help the problem. 

For printing only (not copying) you may be able to print in reserve mode by removing the color cartridge.  Some all-in-one models do not support this feature, I am not sure aout the Officejet 6310.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

The cartrdige being empty would not cause printing to be blocked on this model, but if it has failed electrically you will get that message.  Cleaning the cartridge contacts as shown here may help the problem. 

For printing only (not copying) you may be able to print in reserve mode by removing the color cartridge.  Some all-in-one models do not support this feature, I am not sure aout the Officejet 6310.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thank you Thank you! I cleaned the catridge but it wouldn't print....then simply removed it (I had tried that earlier without success) again and presto! It prints! Thanks again!

HP Recommended

I too had the problem/message remove and check color cartridge, etc. Removed, tried new cartridges X2, cleaned nozzle with swab and distilled water, still same message. When I removed the color cartridge, it did print test page for me in black, but as soon as I place any cartridge in the green stall, I get the same message "Remove and check color cartridge". No matter whether I put a used or two new color cartridges in the stall, same message. Is this a permanent failure? or is there something else to try?

HP Recommended

@jacnkev wrote:

I too had the problem/message remove and check color cartridge, etc. Removed, tried new cartridges X2, cleaned nozzle with swab and distilled water, still same message. When I removed the color cartridge, it did print test page for me in black, but as soon as I place any cartridge in the green stall, I get the same message "Remove and check color cartridge". No matter whether I put a used or two new color cartridges in the stall, same message. Is this a permanent failure? or is there something else to try?

What printer model?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Photosmart 2610

HP Recommended

On going error. "replace or re-install left cartridge" on my 6310 all-in-one. Office Max replaced nearly new tri color cartridge but problem persists. I search the internet for solutions, tried many. This seems to be pervasive problem acrossed the product line. 

HP Recommended

@ashbery wrote:

On going error. "replace or re-install left cartridge" on my 6310 all-in-one. Office Max replaced nearly new tri color cartridge but problem persists. I search the internet for solutions, tried many. This seems to be pervasive problem acrossed the product line. 

Do you have HP cartrdiges or third party remans?  The third party cartridges are cartridges that have been used up a least once, then returned to the store, then shipped back to a remanufacturer.  The quality varies greatly depending on the manufacturer but have generally poor reliability, see here for a study

Cleaning the cartirdge contacts as shown here may help. 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

No this was not helpful at all.  I cleaned the contacts and still get the same message.  HP customer service has to easily be the absolete worst I have ever seen.

HP Recommended

@sierra-remote wrote:

No this was not helpful at all.  I cleaned the contacts and still get the same message.  HP customer service has to easily be the absolete worst I have ever seen.

Please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model? What operating system?  Are there any error messages on the printer or computer screen?  

Please be aware that this forum is a peer to peer support forum, it is not a direct link to HP support.  If you want to talk to HP support then Contact HP.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.