Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Color Laserjet CP1215
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So i have had this CP1215 printer for a long time now which i havn't been using and I had put away (more than two years). It was previously set up on a system with windows XP. so recently, I decided to turn it back on and use it, yet when I turn it on the red cartridge and the Attention light are both blinking simultaneously and the printer isn't detected by my pc (not even listed in the device manager tab). 

I have tried the Cold reset and the hard reset, and nothing works. I have tried plugging it to several pcs and laptops with different USB cables, but nothing works. also tried with several operating systems (windows XP, 7, 8, and 10). I'm thinking it's a hardware failure, but it was working fine before I had put it away. 

Any help is aprreciated. 
Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Good evening @Malkim92, nice to meet you! :generic:

I have researched the blinking lights on your Color LaserJet CP1215 a little bit and have found out if may be the Magenta toner cartridge that is causing the error.

In this document, Blinking Lights on the HP Color LaserJet CP1215 and CP1217 Printers - I found the following;

Attention light blinking = This blinking light pattern indicates that a door is open.

• Open and close the front access door completely
  • Open and close the rear door completely

Magenta print cartridge light blinking = The print cartridge indicated by the blinking light is either missing or out of toner. The following message might display on your computer: 'Cartridge Out Override In Use.'

• In the document is suggests trying to see if the printer will print a configuration or a supplies status page.
  1. On the product control panel, press and hold the Resume button () for three seconds. A Configuration and a Supplies Status page print.
  2. Check the Supplies Status page to identify any print cartridges that are low or out of toner.

Replace the empty toner cartridge.

Please let me know if any of these steps resolved your issue, or if there is anything else I can do to help. 

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks, 

midnight-anwrs
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” on the post that solves your issue - it helps others find the solution later.

Don't forget to come back and click the Thumbs Up on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended
Yes i understand.. but the thing is.. no computer can detect it. As i had mentioned i had tried several pcs with several cables and operating systems.. the printer is not in the device manager or the 'printers and devices' folder, neither 'hp support assistant' or any other program can detect it..is there anyway that i can print a test page from the printer without connecting it to a PC?
HP Recommended

Thank you for the fast reply @Malkim92

Sometimes the computer will not read the connection if the printer is in an error state.

The instructions above for  printing a configuration or a supplies status page were for the printer control panel.

1. On the product control panel, press and hold the Resume button () for three seconds. A Configuration and a Supplies Status page print.

If it can print, it should look like this;

Example of a calibration page

I found the following in this document, it could also cause the flashing light - I copied the steps for you below;

Remove any protective tape from the print cartridges
  1. Open the print cartridge door completely.
  2. Pull out the print cartridge drawer completely.
  3. Check each print cartridge and remove any protective tape.

Figure : Remove protective tape from print cartridges

Illustration of removing the protective tape from the print cartridges.
    CAUTION: Do not touch the imaging drum on the bottom of the print cartridge. Fingerprints on the imaging drum can cause print quality issues.

Figure : Do not touch imaging drum

Illustration: Do not touch imaging drum.

4. Close the print cartridge drawer completely.
  5. Close the print cartridge door completely.

Please let me know if any of these steps resolved your issue, or if there is anything else I can do to help. 

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks, 

midnight-anwrs
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” on the post that solves your issue - it helps others find the solution later.

Don't forget to come back and click the Thumbs Up on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended
I have checked the cartridge and there seems to be nothing on them.. and the printer doesn't print anything, I tried holding the resume button for 3 secs several times and tried for longer, still nothing. I even tried switching the cartridges locations ( yellow instead of magneta) yet it still gives the same thing, check magneta light and the attention light blinking together. I also tried openning and closing all the doors for it several times, nothing seems to work.
HP Recommended

Hi @Malkim92,

Normally when you switch the cartridges into the wrong slots the printer is supposed to give a different error.

Can you try this;

1. Remove all of the cartridges.
  2. Close the drawer with the toner removed and the power still on
  3. Then do a hard reset. To do so;
    • Leave the printer on and unplug the power cable from the back of the printer
    • While it is unplugged, you can hold down the power button on the printer for about 10-15 seconds to release any built up power
    • Then plug the printer back in
  4. Next, install only the black toner, close the toner drawer, wait for black to be recognized.
  5. Repeat with each toner, make sure to close the drawer after each one until all the cartridges are installed

Does the error change?

If you have tried all these steps then the last thing I can think of would be to reset the printer. I will be sending you the reset in a PM (Private Message), but before I do, feel free to review the HP Privacy Statement.

WARNING: Some resets require you to enter button combinations to open special menus on your printer that you were never meant to access.  These special menus are used by the developers and support personnel for debugging issues, but they are not meant for untrained users and can have unintended results.  One wrong button push and you no could no longer have a printer, but instead a pricey paper weight.  To top it off, if you do happen to "brick" the printer this way, it is considered customer induced damage, and voids the warranty automatically. These resets are only meant to be given out and used as a last resort, and under direct instruction of a HP tech support representative. They should not be done lightly!

Printer Resets: What You Should Know

Please check the little envelope on the top right hand corner of the forums page to check your Forums inbox.
 Forums Inbox.jpg

If the issue continues after the reset, I would Contact HP Support for further assistance. Fill in the model number and the form to receive a case number. You can view all other ways of contacting HP from their list of Support Options.

Thanks, 

midnight-anwrs
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.