Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This might help someone. I was able to solve this myself.

I just bought the new HP Officejet 3830 for my personal use in my home. I was succesful setting up the printer onto my office "personal use only" computer using Windows 7-32 bit. Everything was so easy setting up. Then in the other room I tried setting up the printer onto my Windows 10-64 bit HP computer by network.  I went to Devices and Printers in the control panel and clicked "Add a printer". The HP Officejet 3830 printer showed but when I clicked next the following message appeared and asked me to input the WPS PIN;

"you can find the WPS PIN on your DIRECT-3F-HP Officejet 3830 or in the info that came with it"

I just could not find the WPS PIN listed anywhere on the printer or in the info that came with it.  I tried puttin in the router password but that did not work while pressing the WPS tab on the router. I even went to the printer screen and printed the "HP Network Configuration Page". A WPS PIN appeared at the top (good for 5 minutes from the time the report was printed) I quickly used it and thought "finally", but darn I was told on the screen, "That didn't work". The computers are no more than 25 feet apart. I did not take more than 5 minutes. So I tried it again. The WPS PIN was different this time but I hurried and punched in the pin and was told,  "That didn't work".

I was at a loss until I tried using the setup CD/DVD to set up my networked computer. I used the cd not the online setup. That may have also worked. I ran setup, clicked on, "connect a new computer". I selected "wireless" as my wireless works good.  I did not select any extra options/programs for the networked computer as I only wanted the driver. This worked without needing to use any WPS PIN!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

1. The first computer uses NORMAL setup using your home network therefore your printer uses your network password from your computer to connect. That is the way we normally do.

2. When connecting the second computer you should do the same but you used different way (bypass the setup CD) therefore your computer wanted to connect direct to your printer. In this case you need a PIN. It should work with a right PIN but it didn't.

3. Now, you get back to the square one and use the CD. You may do this in the first place, this will save your time running from room to room. For next computer(s) my suggestion: use this CD again for each computer.

Now, I would like to add a bit about #2 above: your printer supports Print Direct that means you can print without your home network. If you wish, you can connect your computer(s) to use Print Direct and your computer(s) will see two logcal printers, similar to this:

hp_envy.png

The first one uses normal home network and the second one is Print Direct printer. Both logical printers use same physical printer.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
I need the postal code to move forward
HP Recommended
Help me
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.