Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

There seem to be a number of nonfactual statements in your posts - for example, no HP inkjet cartridge has a magnetic strip for memory, and they do not stop working at 100 prints.  If your printer uses an HP 60 cartridge it will not stop printing (or at least going through the motions of printing) even if the cartridge is completely empty.  (It will reject the cartridge if there is an electrical failure.  It may also give non-blocking warnings as the cartridge runs out of ink.)

A cartridge that has failed electricaly will be rejected, whether it is an HP cartridge or a refill/reman.  The latter are more likely to fail as they have been used through their design life one or more times already.

HP does not block using refills.  See this document.  Using refilled products may affect the warranty, as HP cannot be held responsible for product damage caused by third party products.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Just because you're a MVP, Bob, doesn't mean you know HP's practices.

Your boss might tell you it's not real, but it is.

HP's been ripping off customers since day 1 when it came to ink cartridges.

No one wants to pay for ink that's more expensive than human blood.

So what did HP do?

First they started to say that picture quality would be lower.

This is not exactly true, it depends on the 3rd party brand.

There are some really good ones out there, where the Original ones have no advantages over them.

That didn't work, so plan B: Tell people that it could damage their printers (Never proven, and how the heck does that even happen?).

A lot of people don't read the manuals very carefully or didn't care about it.

Then came plan C, the worst one of them all: Make HP Printers decline service when a not-approved ink cartridge is inserted.

No one can go around that one.

Unfortunately for a lot of HP consumers, this means get out your wallets to pay $60 on ink every month.

Don't stand for it, trash the HP printer and get a new one.

Look at internet reviews to see if other printers doesn't complain about custom cartridges.

This is one of the reasons that I switched from HP to Canon (their ink is no better, but atleast it won't complain about custom ones), among with that the last one just flat out suddently failed (no connection to the PC).

HP Recommended

100 per cent agree with this post getting the same message and same problems in Brisbane Australia ,will never buy another H P printer 

HP Recommended

Hi EyeCannon, are you getting the msg while using refills or genuine HP? Thanks

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Refill in original H P cartridge 

HP Recommended

Are you able to OK the msg? if not, it could be a problem with the refilled ink so you may need to return it to the store.

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I took out the refilled colour cartridge and it is working ok with 1 cartridge .got rid of my lexmark printer because it wouldn't accept refills never had any trouble before with H P and I have had a few, so must be a new thing to H P

Will perserve for awhile with it Thanks for your response ,I will try taking it back to the refill shop .

HP Recommended

I have always had an HP printer.  For the very first time I did the refill on the cartridges, both color and black and white, instead of buying new.  And for the very first time, my printer worked for only  about a week and a half.  yesterday it stopped working and the message says to refer to printer documentation.  I have to agree with everyone else on this.  Somehow because I did not buy new ones from HP, my printer which has been perfectly fine until now,has stopped working. This is no coincidence.  I will never buy anothe HP product again.

HP Recommended

Heck, I have been getting this message all the time and I have been using ONLY genuine HP  cartridges (purchased at Best Buy, Walmart, or other "fine retailers")   on the 2050 J510 unit.  Bloody royal pain in the,.... well you know what I mean.  Any fix for this?  Is there a way to disable this message?  The unit is WAY out of warranty.

Jim

HP Recommended

They probably changed the way unique HP inks indentify themselves to the printer, leaving this one thinking it's not original ink. Another sign that HP is a total scam.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.