Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
So, to put it simply: I am "SOL"?
HP Recommended
Unfortunately, most likely yes.
HP Recommended

@Zogman4242 wrote:

Heck, I have been getting this message all the time and I have been using ONLY genuine HP  cartridges (purchased at Best Buy, Walmart, or other "fine retailers")   on the 2050 J510 unit.  Bloody royal pain in the,.... well you know what I mean.  Any fix for this?  Is there a way to disable this message?  The unit is WAY out of warranty.

Jim

What exactly is the error message you are seeing? Are there blinking lights on the printer? The document here may help.  Note that there is a cartridge warranty that is separate from the printer warranty.  You may have the cartridges covered even if the printer is well out of warranty.  See the document here for information.

Edit - Depending on the error message you have the document here may help, especially cleaning the electrical contacts on the cartridge and in the printer as shown.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@TheTrueInkMan1 wrote:

They probably changed the way unique HP inks indentify themselves to the printer, leaving this one thinking it's not original ink. Another sign that HP is a total scam.

Unfounded speculation, with no basis in fact.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Yep, all your misinformation is Bob.

HP Recommended

The reason why HP is doing this is to make a boatload of money. They advocate for their own original ink (which has no real benefit over other inks), and printers can indentify whether inks are HP overpriced POS cartridges, or alternatives who are often as good if not better than original inks (out of personal experience). The printer does indentify the original HP ink, that's not a rumor, how else does the printer do it? Ofcourse, the producers of alternative inks learn, and use that indentification system to make printers accept the ink without a hassle. So HP changes its indentification system, and older printers are indeed SOL. 

HP Recommended

Dear TheTrueInkMan1,

Thank you for your participation in the HP community. Please be courteous to everyone within the HP Support Forum. We are fostering a healthy online environment with positive interaction and respectful dialogue.

Regards,
eric-g

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended

@TheTrueInkMan1 wrote:

[snip] The printer does indentify the original HP ink, that's not a rumor, how else does the printer do it? [snip]

The printer does do certain electrical checks to verify the cartridge is correct and does not have certain electrical failures that can cause issues to the printer.  You can check the following patent (that I am named as an inventor on) for some examples of how these checks are done.  HP would certainly have absolutely no interest in making changes that would cause old printers to stop accepting cartridges.  I personally have HP printers that are a decade or two old that still accept today's cartridges.   Note - I do not work for HP or speak for them.  I retired in 2005 but had many years working for them in the inkjet side of the business.

I can assure you that your assumptions and conclusions are incorrect....

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Yet many people do have this problem. That's truly the only reason the HP went straight to the trash for me (didn't want to donate it to the thriftshop to torture someone else with it), and bought a printer from a brand that doesn't complain a second when you insert offbrand inks. Their own inks are also far overpriced, but atleast they give you the option of choosing ink. HP for the most part, not.

HP Recommended

As an IT Manager I have the opposite problem.

For many reasons I  *want*  to prevent end users from using non-HP cartridges but have never been able to find a way to prevent HP printers from printing with non-genuine cartridges.

If the HP software can prevent a printer from using non-genuine cartridges, how do I enable this feature?

As inkjets go, mostly using old DJ 3000s, OfficeJet 6700s.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.