Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I find that "certain electrical checks" quote highly amusing!

You obviously think all HP printer users are stupid or something!

I shall be chucking my HP printer asap after watching this list.

Surely you must be aware by now of the incoming express train that is CISS - since Epson have given up the scam of selling printers cheap and ripping users off with the price of "identifed" ink cartridges - the writing is on the wall!

The next printer I buy will be an Epson CIS printer and I have no doubt that HP will have to follow suit and drop the cartidge identity chip scam - where they make most of their money.

What the heck else is the chip for???? "Certain electrical checks" ha! ha! Ok exactly what are these mysterious electrical checks????

HP Recommended

@wishnohp wrote:

I find that "certain electrical checks" quote highly amusing!

You obviously think all HP printer users are stupid or something!

I shall be chucking my HP printer asap after watching this list.

Surely you must be aware by now of the incoming express train that is CISS - since Epson have given up the scam of selling printers cheap and ripping users off with the price of "identifed" ink cartridges - the writing is on the wall!

The next printer I buy will be an Epson CIS printer and I have no doubt that HP will have to follow suit and drop the cartidge identity chip scam - where they make most of their money.

What the heck else is the chip for???? "Certain electrical checks" ha! ha! Ok exactly what are these mysterious electrical checks????

You can check the following patent (that I am named as an inventor on) for some examples of how these checks are done.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Possibly my answer is behind the times.

My HP 7520 is great - but this annoying message about incompatible ink is a real pain in the A**e.

To get around it I simply uninstalled the HP software and use the printer via Bluetooth. Scanning can still be done by using the email option and I have found no other problems.

Here in England I have found that genuine HP cartridges are no more expensive than imitation cartridges.

My 7520 will therefore remain in use for many; hopefully, years probably with HP cartridges.

HP Recommended

Thanksto the other contributers in this thread. You have shown me i am not going mad and that HP re now worse than VolksWagen.  They tried to get round red tape. HP are ripping off their own customers. Pity they are unlikely to face the same criminal sanctions VW will.

My Photosmart 5510 reports genuine HP cartridges as counterfeit or refilled when they are nothing of the kind. They work for a time then it starts reporting them as counterfeit while there is still lots of ink left. 

It doesn't stop the printer printing but if I have to replace one of the colour cartridges as i had to earlier today the HP Utility  refuses to go through the alignent routine or clean print heads unless I also replace the cartridge it is falsly reporting as faulty. 

I bought this printer because my previous HP printer had given good service. This one has been rubbish and will be replaced by another brand in the near future.

HP you will get your just deserts as customers go elsewhere. You can't cheat customers with impunity.

HP Recommended

Hello Bob,

My uncle made the mistake of purchasing a HP Photosmart 5510 all in one.  He's not computer savvay and only purchased genuine HP cartiiges (and paid through the nose).  Was not long before the ink dried up and failed to print BLACK.  From my searching for answers, looks like TONS of folks have the same issue on a regular basis with MANY HP inkjets models.  They don't warn you that if you don't print for a while, the next time you expect to use your printer, it's game over.

He went through $70 in ink trying the clean and deep clean cycles to NO avail.

I disasembled the printer and cleaned the print head (new one on the way), but when testing I was not going to shell out anohter $70 for ink, so I refilled the HP cartirges with dye based for the colors and pigment based for the black. 

I alreay bought the new print head so I will replace and advise him to use HP inks from now on, but he really needs to buy a laser printer. This ink scam is way too costly and dries out very quickly if you dont' use the printer for a while.

Laser lasts forever. They don't dry out. The page yield is extremly high compared to ink. I have a HP lasterjet 1020 I have used for many many years, and third party cartrige refills have never failed me.  My printing costs are next to nothing, I print whatever I want, whenever i want witout the worry or cost of running out of ink.  Ink pirinters are worthless unless you use them regularly, (whcih costs a fortune), the print heads get clogged WAY to easily. Bob, it's great you are profiting off your patent royaties? But people buying genuine HP ink are getting taken to the cleaners. It's a failed technology.  Box needs to come with warning labels indicating the truth about what to expect.

HP Recommended

If this is an HP sowtware issue then they do need to to change their thinking. I have multiple HP products and have been happy with each, but could not tolerate this type policy if indeed this is some type of HP sales ploy. Hope there is some solution soon - working full time and going to school there is no time for this type of nonsense. 

HP Recommended

I've had the exact problem and don't really have the time to deal with that sort of nonsense.  I'm throughing my ne hp printer in the trash so as no to pass on this issue to anyone else and will be duying a different on.  Its to bad since hp was the go to printer and I'm sure this will cause other to switch to a company with a better regard for customer sevice.

HP Recommended

Everything I have read so far leads me to the conclusion HP's printer software is designed to eventually shut the printer off after so many error messages!!!! I am FINISHED WITH HP! I quit buying their computers 5-6 years ago due to major glitches in the computer's software... & I stuck with the HP printers because of print quality. But, this last Photoshop Printer has given me migraine headaches due to ink problems or paper jams! I am now finished with HP PRINTERS! This Photoshop 6520 is about 2 years old & it's going in the garbage!!!! I just ordered an EPSON WORKFORCE All in One from Amazon & it will be delivered tomorrow.  

DEAR HP--YOU ARE LOSING LONGTIME CUSTOMERS JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT TO TO DICTATE TO OWNERS WHAT INK MUST STILL BE USED AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRES! 

That's gonna cost HP more money in the long run...who is the STUPID CEO that made that brilliant decision????

I am going to be a very happy person after I set up my me EPSON PRINTER!

HP Recommended

**bleep**. I buy a printer, it's MY printer. I buy a printer cartridge, it's MY printer cartridge. I buy ink, it's MY ink. If the printer vendor has deliberately sabotaged the printer so that it won't work with whatever cartridge or ink I choose to put in it, I demand they fix the problem or give me a refund.

But you're saying that unless I buy ink cartridges from you and from you alone, and what's more buy them every time they run out of ink when they could easily be refilled, I am party to some sort of counterfeiting or fraud. What a **bleep**ing insult.

You're the fraudsters. If I buy a Parker pen and the cartridge runs out of ink, and I refill it with Staedtler ink instead of Quink, does that make me a criminal? Or is Staedtler ink going to break my Parker pen and void the warranty?

And then there's the question of recycling. Have you not heard of the global energy and environmental crisis? We should be reusing everything, not replacing things like printer cartridges over and over again just because you think you'll make more money out of your customers if you can stop them from reusing perfectly good ink cartridges. You will not make more money. Your customers will either find a way around your shenanigans and keep reusing their cartridges, or else they will buy their printing equipment from people who actually give a **bleep** about the future of the world beyond their profit forecast for the year.

What a bunch of wankers.

HP Recommended

Stop with this propganda that spewed from the company bylines. It worked for me too, you guys are just rigging your printers so we can shill out Hundreds of dollars to buy your refiliable ink cartridges. Planned obsolescence is the oldest trick in coporation hand book. Take a picture of this post, when I get enough proof that HP is doing this, you can expect a nice class action lawsuit from all forum members here. Don't worry their is always lawyers willing to troil big corpotions like HP/ 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.