Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I RECENTLY UPGRADED TO AN HP PAVILION. MY PRINTER IS AN OLDIE BUT GOODIE 722C. I BOUGHT AN ADAPTER CABLE TO CONVERT THE 25 PIN CONNECTOR ON THE PRINTER CABLE TO A USB CONNECTOR. I TRIED HP'S WEB SITE TO GET A DRIVER AND HP SAYS THEY DON'T HAVE A DRIVER FOR WINDOWS 7. DOES ANYONE  HAVE A SUGGESTION ON HOW TO PROCEED FROM HERE BESIDES DEEP SIXING MY 722 AND BUYING A NEW PRINTER ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry, but the above will not work.  The Deskjet 722 is a host based printer and is not compatible with the Deskjet 6980 driver.  

You can install the driver as follows:  connect the printer with the USB-parallel converter.  Click on Start, Devices and Printers, Add a Printer, Local Printer and select the proper port. When the list of printers appears click on Windows Update and wait a few minutes for the list to repopulate*.  Once the list repopulates select HP as the manufacturer (not Hewlett-Packard) and select the Deskjet 720c driver, Next.

Do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows 7?  If you have a 64 bit Windows 7 you will need a patch as the supplied driver crashes the spooler.  After installing the printer (but before printing anything, including a test page) install the patch available here.

* Edit - If you get an error "Windows was unable to get a list..." when you click on the Windows Update button then see the workaround here.

dj 720c.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello SUMFUN,

I am sorry to inform you that Deskjet 722C doesn't have any compatible full feature or drivers available.
But you can try this alternate way to load a compatible driver from the in OS drivers.

First plug the USB cable between the printer and the computer and check if the computer detects the printer and loads the driver automatically like in plug and play and shows the printer icon in devices and printers folder. If no avail then you can try this next steps.

click on start menu on your computer>> devices and printers>> click on add a printer.
Select add a local printer and click on next button.
Choose the port type as USB virtual printer port or USB 001 and click on next.
Select Manufacturer as HP and printer as Deskjet 6980 and click on next button install the driver.
Say no to sharing option if it appeared and then set the printer as default and try and print a test page and check if it prints the test page properly.
If not then you can go back on the devices and printers folder and right click on the deskjet 6980 icon and select "printer properties" and not properties and select ports tab and check if the port is set to USB 001 or not and if not change to it and click on apply button and check if the printer prints fine or not. Make sure to delete the pending job before trying to print again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click on Kudos if the soution works for you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself.

HP Recommended

THNX VERY MUCH. I'LL GIVE IT A SHOT AND LET YOU KNOW IF IT WORKS.

HP Recommended

Sorry, but the above will not work.  The Deskjet 722 is a host based printer and is not compatible with the Deskjet 6980 driver.  

You can install the driver as follows:  connect the printer with the USB-parallel converter.  Click on Start, Devices and Printers, Add a Printer, Local Printer and select the proper port. When the list of printers appears click on Windows Update and wait a few minutes for the list to repopulate*.  Once the list repopulates select HP as the manufacturer (not Hewlett-Packard) and select the Deskjet 720c driver, Next.

Do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows 7?  If you have a 64 bit Windows 7 you will need a patch as the supplied driver crashes the spooler.  After installing the printer (but before printing anything, including a test page) install the patch available here.

* Edit - If you get an error "Windows was unable to get a list..." when you click on the Windows Update button then see the workaround here.

dj 720c.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi.  I am using a new HP Pavilion s5-1020 Desktop PC, and I want to use my old HP 722C.  I have been attempting to follow your instructions below.  After clicking on Windows Update, the list of drivers does not include HP Deskjet 720c.  The closest one is HP PSC 720.   Is that the same thing?

Thanks 

HP Recommended

@newHPuser1 wrote:

Hi.  I am using a new HP Pavilion s5-1020 Desktop PC, and I want to use my old HP 722C.  I have been attempting to follow your instructions below.  After clicking on Windows Update, the list of drivers does not include HP Deskjet 720c.  The closest one is HP PSC 720.   Is that the same thing? [snip]

Do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows 7?  The PSC 720c is not anything like the Deskjet 720c.  The Deskjet 710c would also be a good match for the Deskjet 722c.  You could also download the driver from Microsoft's Catalog Update site.  This is a bit user-unfriendly, you will need to use Internet Explorer and look for the specific match for your operating system version. In the link above the 11.4 Mb file is the x86 one, the 11.6 Mb is x64.  The 13.9 Mb file is IA64, a server architecture that you do not have.

To download the file click "Add to basket", then select "View Basket" in the upper right.  This will bring you to a page where you can download the files.  Select a directory location you can easily find and download the files there.  The download will create a subdirectory "Microsoft update for HP Deskjet 720c".  You can now go to Add a Printer and instead of selecting from the list select "Have Disk" and browse to the location you downloaded the file.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I have a 64-bit version of Windows 7.  Watching more closely when I plugged in the parellel-to-USB converter cable, I see that Windows says it is searching for and  installing the driver for HP Deskjet 722C, then that "Your device is ready to use" and "USB Support is ready to use" and "HP Deskjet 720 (not 722c) is ready to use."  That sounded like I was getting the right driver, so I did not go to the Microsoft Catalog Update site.  I downloaded the patch files and copied them into the Windows/System32 ... etc. etc.  Now when I try to print, I see the print job in the printer status display - it says it is printing, but nothing is actually printed.  ????  Do you have any more advice for me?  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

I never got an answer to the above question so I read the "Ask a good question" instructions and then followed the instructions and ended up purchasing a Newegg GWC AP1305-BG cable.  Victory!  With the patch and the new cable, my 722C yet  lives!  Thank you to Bob Headrick and wideranging. 

HP Recommended

Disdn't work

:Crying:

HP Recommended

What IS the proper port? You tech guys assum too much of us.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.