Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Have read scare stories saying that HP are bricking non-HP cartridges.

1. Is this true?

2. Anyone got a workaround if it is true?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
What they've done is dispicable and kind of surprising. It's more cost efficient to set your printer on fire and buy one from a company that doesn't abuse DMCA archaic laws and steal from its customers. If you run a quick Roi on the price of HP cartridges vs new printer and 3rd party cartridges that don't cost 50 bucks, it doesbt take long to recoup your investment in a new non HP printer.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please read the following statement:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-news/press-release.html?id=2335831#.V-**bleep**PkrLmE

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Wow!

So it is true then.

HP have decided that they control what I can do with my printer.

Thank you for dealing so promptly with my first question.

What about the second question?

How do I workaround the imposition?

HP Recommended

Hi,

For the second question, I don't know. Each printer can do a different way and HP has hundreds if not thousands of different printer models/products

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

If I read you right the manner of regaining control of a printer varies machine by machine.

Fortunately I do not have a HP printer. Unlikely to ever buy one in future as that press release says that they will decide how I use the printer that I paid for.

Thank you for your responses.

I will use the press release that you directed me to.

You don't happen to have the email address of HP UK Managing Director do you?

HP Recommended
What they've done is dispicable and kind of surprising. It's more cost efficient to set your printer on fire and buy one from a company that doesn't abuse DMCA archaic laws and steal from its customers. If you run a quick Roi on the price of HP cartridges vs new printer and 3rd party cartridges that don't cost 50 bucks, it doesbt take long to recoup your investment in a new non HP printer.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.