Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 7510

My HP Photosmart 7510 recently started producing vertical black lines on printed and scanned documents sent through the document feeder.  Is there a fix for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The issue you are seeing is caused by a spec on the thin piece of glass to the left of the main scanner bed.  Clean this area thoroughly and it will resolve the issue.  It may help to shine a bright flashlight from the front of the printer nearly parallel to the glass to highlight the spec.  

The following may also help find the spec:  get a peice of blank letter size white paper.  Write "top" and "bottom" on the top and bottom end of the paper, then feed the top end into the ADF and make a copy.  When the copy comes out of the printer take the copy and align the end that says "bottom" face up on the main scanner bed.  Move it to the left against the thin glass.  The spot the line points to will indicate where the cleaning needs to occur.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The issue you are seeing is caused by a spec on the thin piece of glass to the left of the main scanner bed.  Clean this area thoroughly and it will resolve the issue.  It may help to shine a bright flashlight from the front of the printer nearly parallel to the glass to highlight the spec.  

The following may also help find the spec:  get a peice of blank letter size white paper.  Write "top" and "bottom" on the top and bottom end of the paper, then feed the top end into the ADF and make a copy.  When the copy comes out of the printer take the copy and align the end that says "bottom" face up on the main scanner bed.  Move it to the left against the thin glass.  The spot the line points to will indicate where the cleaning needs to occur.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

It worked......Thank you so much for your time!!!

HP Recommended

I am glad I could help.  I have seen this personally a couple times over the years.  I am always surprised what a small spec of paper dust or whatever can do to a copy if it happens to be in the wrong place. 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Now knowing that will certainly prevent me from future frustration, so i appreciate it!

HP Recommended

I could SEE the speck that was causing the problem.  Cleaned glass with alcohol swab.  PROBLEM GONE!  Thanks for having this on the forum!!!!!

HP Recommended

@Pat-Dacono wrote:

I could SEE the speck that was causing the problem.  Cleaned glass with alcohol swab.  PROBLEM GONE!  Thanks for having this on the forum!!!!!

Glad I could help.  In some cases the spec is not noticable, I have seen cases where folks tried cleaning several times before they found the spec.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.