Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've spent nearly a whole day trying to get this heap of s**T to connect wireless to my Macbook Pro 10.6.5.... I get within touching distance and then the dropdown boxes appear!! EG...The network configuration was successfully downloaded to the device. However to continue configuring the device in network, your Mac must have access to the device. So please make sure that your Mac has access to the Network : "TALKTALK****" and retry.

Well retry doesn't work so you have to back and enter your network password again.... only ending up with that message again. I gave up eventually and set up with USB. My Mac does have access to the network otherwise I wouldn't be online, which I most definitely was.

Help anyone? before it goes back for a refund!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Can you change any of the router's settings?  Is the router supplied by your ISP?

WEP is not in the least secure and can cause connection issues with wireless printers.  Is there any way to change it or get a new router?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

82 REPLIES 82
HP Recommended

From where did you get the hp software for your printer?  Did it say it was for 10.6?

Tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

The software came on a disk with the printer and it says 10.6 on it..... not sure whether a recent security update to 10.6.5 has messed things up...wouldnt surprise me.... Anyway I'm gonna give the Tech support a ring. Thanx for the help... I'll probably be back...lol

HP Recommended

Just as I thort... ringing Tech support..Useless!! and now I'm stuck with this contraption that won't work unless with USB.... Useless!!

HP Recommended

Are you going to tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc) so I can help?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Hi PrintDoc

I have had exactly the same problems - although i am using Mac OS X 10.5.6 on my MacBook Pro.  As I couldn't get the CD that came with the printer to work at all, I got the latest software for the printer from HP download (it's an August 2010 version).

The printer itself is up and running as i had installed the printer and setup the wireless using an HP Laptop, which seems to work fine.  And direct USB works fine from my Mac to the printer too, just not wireless.

Despite the printer already setup on the wireless - it appears each new computer you want to use it on still needs to 'install and setup' the printer using the full installer.  Hence, that's the main route i've been trying on my Mac (a couple alternatives are mentioned lower).  When following the install steps (initially you must use a USB, then unplug when told to part way through) it then appears to confirm that the wireless network settings are setup in the printer, but it asks me to make sure i am on the wireless network myself - same error message as mentioned in the previous post - i'm mostly definitely on the wireless, and the retry option does not resolve it.

Curiously, I have managed to easily 'find' the printer via both IP wireless and USB connections using the HP Utility software which is also part of the installer (for checking ink etc)

I have also managed to take a look at the printer using the internal web server at the printer's ip address.  Things look sensible in there (e.g. Wireless is active, has an IP from the router etc).  I noticed Bonjour is turned 'on' but doubt that would be affecting anything...?

Thinking of trying a different route to connect, I explored the Mac's System Preferences > Print & Fax area.  However, this only show's a USB version of the printer present, and if you try to Add the printer from that '+' button it can't 'find' the printer wirelessly - despite looking at the  HP IP options both auto and direct IP address connection (both don't find it).

My setup is:

Printer IP: is at 192.168.1.114 (this seems to be consistent, even tho i have tried the installer it a few differnt imes from my Mac)

Router: Livebox from Orange (Inventel system)

Encryption type: WPA-PSK

ISP: DSL

Mac: MacBook Pro with Mac OS 10.5.6

PC: HP Laptop with Vista

Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

OK, first you should be at 10.5.8, so please do Software Updates over and over until there are no more.

The System Prefs > Print & Fax method should work after we reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Hey PrinDoc,

I have a problem with my printer Jet 3050 too. My problem is:

1) I click on wireless button on printer and it's flasing forever, won't connect

2) When i  choose setting, there is Disable Wireless, WPS and defaults. I did all but not work. For WPS, I don't have PIN or Push button so how can I do it?

3) Could I reset the whole printer again?

Thanks,

Tuan Le

HP Recommended

Tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended
Click Start, All Programs, HP, HP Deskjet, Connect a new printer. Choose Network Printer, then connect the USB. It will transfer the wireless settings. Unplug USB. Viola! Wireless works.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.