Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 3630
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have purchased new genuine HP black and colour cartidges for my Deskjet 3630 printer. The cartridge code is 63, as are the old empty cartridges. The printer is connected to my Win7 computer by USB. That computer is connected to the net.

When I install the new cartridges, I get a HP error message on my screen saying that there is an "Incompatible ink cartridges -- black" that is "not intended for use in the printer as it is currently configured."

When I check the ink levels using the HP utility, it tells me that the colour cartridge is full, but the black cartidge is empty. Obviously as it is new, it isn't.

When I go to HP Connected, it tells me that I have to add a printer, but I need a claim code.

I kept getting 404-errors for when trying to get any help using the HP Australia web site, which you will agree is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

I googled trying to get a claim code, which apparently I print from the printer. Unfortunately, this printer refuses to print anything for me, as apparently the genuine HP black printer cartridge is not recognised as a genuine cartridge.

So I have a printer that refuses to accept a printer cartridge provided by the same manufacturer, and cannot get any help because I have to print something from the printer which it will not print because it doesn't recognise a cartidge from the same manufacturer. I can't enter any menu on the printer because it is flashing an empty black cartridge on the printer's screen that, I am assuming is because of the error message on the computer screen, I cannot clear.

I hope that you can see the frustration brough about by this circular problem-something that I would not expect  from HP.

Your attention to this would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

There are a few things to try:  you should be able to print a claim code by removing the black cartridge.  The printer should then print in ink backup mode using the color cartridge.  The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve the black cartridge not being recognized for your Deskjet 3630 printer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Nope. It's still a brick. Nothing works.

Also nothing changes that this has got to be the worst printer I have ever come across. It is most certainly not Plug and Play. Certainly not like the Brother laser printer on my other box, that was truly plug it in and wait about a minute for the drivers to load, now go ahead and print. Changing toner cartridges does not disable the printer like changing ink cartridges with this printer.

One of the major issues is that this printer does not have a wireless network to connect to, which apparently we are required to use to get the required code. It appears that HP presumes that everyone uses a wireless LAN, whereas we do not. We need a higher level of security than that offered by 802.x protocols, so we use old-fashioned- and secure- Cat6.

Therefore, in the absence of the ability to get any support from HP, and the printer not being fit for purpose, we are thinking very seriously of disposing of this POS.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.