Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 3634
Chrome OS

I recently moved and I can't remember how I set up my printer last time, but I have reviewed all manuals/ info I could find to try to solve my issue.

I have a Chromebook, and as far as I can tell, setting up the printer's wifi through a USB connection to the laptop is not an option as there is no software for the Chromebook OS.

The instructions say to connect via the network router's WPS button, which the router available does not have.  It's a Motorola Surfboard SB6141.  The instructions also include a bit about manually entering the WPS pin into the router's settings page, but the settings page does not have a WPS pin entry line.  

So in summary:

How do I connect my HP Deskjet 3634 to my wifi via a Motorola Surfboard SB6141 router with a Chromebook?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @annedroid,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I see you are interested in connecting your HP Deskjet 3634 to your wireless network.

You can add your printer in the Embedded Web Server (EWS). 

Get the printer's IP address by pressing the network icon at the top of the screen. (connect your printer wirelessly)

Enter this IP address into the address bar of a web browser on a computer.  The printer's status page should load.  If you receive any certificate warnings, choose the option that lets you continue anyway.

Now you will run the wireless setup wizard located in the EWS.

Did this help? Is the printer now connected wirelessly?

I will watch for your reply.

If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs up" to give me a"Kudos"

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

@annedroid wrote:

The instructions say to connect via the network router's WPS button, which the router available does not have.  It's a Motorola Surfboard SB6141.  

How do I connect my HP Deskjet 3634 to my wifi via a Motorola Surfboard SB6141 router with a Chromebook?

It's a Motorola Surfboard SB6141 is a modem only.   You need a router.

HP Recommended

Download and install the "HP Print" app from the Chrome Web Store.

Google lists it as having USB cable support for ChromeBooks.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Update:  

@sabretooth04 Wow I can't believe I mixed up the modem for the router, except it was the only box I recognized in my housemates' setup.  Their router is an Apple AirPort, which I have never used.  

In response to @HevnLgh:

According to the Network Configuration Page my printer gave me, the EWS is http://0.0.0.0 which returned a "this site does not exist" message when I put it into my browser.

HP Recommended

@WyreNut

This does work if I only want to print when tethered directly to my computer.  However, I am an Instant Ink subscriber & the printer requires a wifi connection to track my ink usage or even use the cartridges.

I also would prefer to not have to download everything everytime I want to just print it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.