Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
DeskJet 5820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

We are in an office with 10 users. We are using HP DeskJet 5820, with wireless networking.

Unfortunately this printer is very sleepy and goes to sleep very often. Five minutes after print, we can not find her on the network. Somebody has to go and wake her or turn her off and on again to be able to start print again.

Someone made a document saying we need to update the firmware, it already has latest firmware.

Could you please make a firmware that enable us to disable the sleeping feature?

We do not want to save power during office hour. The printer job is to print. We do not want to always go there and wake it up every time we want to print.

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@dapidc

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP DeskJet GT 5820 All-in-One Printer and the printer goes into a sleep mode after ever 5 minutes of being idle. The printer needs to be restarted and only then will connect to the network.

I did some research on this case and found that you cannot completely disable the sleep mode. However, you can extend the timer so that the printer gets into sleep mode after a long time. Please perform the below steps to extend the sleep timer:

• Find the IP address of the printer. If you do not know the IP address then print a network configuration page and that will have the IP address of the printer.

• Type the IP address into the address bar of your web browser and hit the enter key on the keyboard. 
  • This will open the EWS page (Embedded Web Server) of the printer.
  • In the EWS page, you will find several tabs. Look for Advanced tab or settings tab. You will find the sleep option there.
  • From here you can extend the time so that the printer goes to sleep mode a little later.
  • Please click on Save to save the changes made in the EWS page.

If the printer continues to disconnect from the wireless network then please perform the steps described in detail from this link.

I'm also sending you the printer user guide for your reference. 

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know. Cheers! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.