Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Oh.. okay

I think i'm just going to change it. 

Thanks for your reply, Bob. 

I appreciate it.

Thank You :generic:

HP Recommended

This was really helpful !

Any suggestions on how to clean the sript? My granddaughter's little fingerprints are all over it?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@geekytoo wrote:

This was really helpful !

Any suggestions on how to clean the sript? My granddaughter's little fingerprints are all over it?

Thanks

The document here has information on cleaning the encoder strip.  Unless the fingerprints had ink on them they would probably not cause issues.  Please read the entire post carefully before cleaning the strip (or determining it is not necessary).  Also please read and heed the warnings, the encoder strip is fragile and the printed lines on it can be washed away with harsh treatment.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have an Officejet 7612 and of course the encoder ribbon has fallen off. It only came off on the left side though. I have moved the ink cartridges to the center and I can see how the right side is attached, however the left side seems to lack any way to hook up the ribbon. The ribbon is intact with a rectangular hole but the tab to hook it to is not compatable. I would doubt that pulling the ribbon would tear off the sheet metal tab but leave a plastic ribbon intact so I can only assume that this newer model than has been previously mentioned, has some other hook-up, such as a spring that may have fallen down. I cannot find any service manual that will tell me how to open up my model to get a closer look. I have attached a pair of photos. Thank you.

leftside (600x800).jpg

leftside (600x800).jpg

HP Recommended

Ok, nobody replied but I figured it out so I'll share. There is a wrap-around panel on the left side. 3 torx screws hold it on, two on the bottom and one on the top. After removing the panel you see the mainboard. You have to remove four ribbon cables, and about six other connectors plus 5 more torx screws and then carefully remove the board. There is a piece of metalwork in the center that must be manuvered around and some socket junk on the back that need slightly pryed out but it's pretty easy. Now you can see where the encoder ribbon is supposed to hook up at and in my case there was nothing there. However, lying just underneath, I luckily found a small spring steel clip that fit in the punchouts on the frame and had a small hook for the ribbon. It took awhile to get my big fat hands in the right position to attach the clip and the ribbon, (mostly because I dropped the clip into the bottom of the printer and it took forever to dig it out), but I finally got it hooked and back together. I can't say if it works yet because I haven't tried. I came back to my computer to see if I should clean the ribbon with anything first and decided to write this.

HP Recommended

I followed the directions for reattaching the plastic ribbon but I've realized that the tang on the left hand side is gone.  Is there a way to order a new one and install it myself or is that not even possible?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with a hp 7525 which takes the same encoder strip C9058-80087.  Bob Headrick could you advise how to reconnect the strip on this device.  I have taped it and I am still getting the carriage jam message.  thank you in advance

HP Recommended

thank you--- for your fast reply, you saved my sanity, I couldnt understand how it knew where the cartridge is at any given time, while I didnt go look at yet, I already know its together wrong, remember my printer cartridge drive assy fell apart due to the rubber mounts giving out, ( real poor design I might ad ) so there is no way I would had ever known what this ia or how it belongs, I was looking at the strip trying to understand why it is there to begin with, never mind know how it threads through the carrier,,    again thanks  

HP Recommended

Will check it out and let you know, (bought it on E-Bay)

DrWayne

HP Recommended

Whats the typical cost of the encoder strip for HP Officejet 6700? and labor to replace? Any help on where I can get it replaced? Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.