Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 7110
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I have a Officejet 7110 that I only use for printing wide format B&W.  Every 3 months, or so, I am have to replace my color cartridges, I am guessing because the tips dry out.  The 7110 won't let me print anything until they are replaced. Frankly, at the price of cartridges I am tired of spending the money and time to replace cartridges I don't use. Does anyone know a way around this?

Thanks, any feedback is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @beowensby

The printer is designed to print when the ink is low, but once the ink is completely depleted, the printer will also stop printing. The reason behind this is because the depleted cartridge will damage the printhead of the printer if tried to print.

Also, there is no way of tricking the printer about cartridge being depleted. As far as I understand, the ink level is either measured by using a microchip in the cartridge. 

Hence, please use a new cartridge and check the printer functionality. You can employ the steps I provided in my above message to limit the use of color ink cartridges.

Please consider marking my post as "Accepted solutions" to help other users with the same issue to find a solution more efficiently. Click on "Thumps up" to give me "Kudos".

Visit us again if you have any concerns!

Thank you again and may you also have a great day and even better tomorrow 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello, @beowensby - Greetings!

Thanks for reaching out to HP Support Forums! I'd like to help 🙂

The Officejet printer uses a little of color cartridge even while printing Black & White to give you the best print quality. That could be the reason that you are required to change the cartridges once in a while.

Follow the steps below in order to print using Black Ink only:

1. From the application used to print, click the File menu and select Print.

The Print window appears.

NOTE: The Print window might be minimized - Click the Show Details button to see all available settings.

2. To access the color options, click the lowest selection box listed as the name of the program (e.g. TextEdit)

Will appear as Copies & Pages within Microsoft Office applications.

3. Select Paper Type/Quality from the drop-down menu.

4. Click the triangle next to Color Options to expend the settings.

5. Set the Color field as Grayscale.

6. Set the Grayscale Mode as Black Ink Cartridge Only.

You may save the settings for future use by clicking Presets > Save Current Settings as Preset.

A used preset will remain as default till another preset will be used.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Dvortex

Thank you for your feedback. I did not realize the printer also used color for B&W. 

BTW I use it with a MAC.

My printer has a flashing "!" and a solid cyan light indicating low, and flashing yellow light indicating its out. Black is fine. That is cofirmed by HP Utility.

I changed the settings and did a preset as suggested and attemped printing. No luck.

I then unplugged the printer for 10 seconds to see if that might work. Still no luck, lights still flashing and the print window is stuck at 70% complete and telling me the yellow cartridge is depleted.

I will buy some cartridges for the time being . . . again.

Any way of tricking the printer into registering the cartridges as full? In determing when its emptyd does the printer measure moisture around the opening or does it measure weight? If its weight maybe a small drill whole and few drops of glue inside.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello, @beowensby

The printer is designed to print when the ink is low, but once the ink is completely depleted, the printer will also stop printing. The reason behind this is because the depleted cartridge will damage the printhead of the printer if tried to print.

Also, there is no way of tricking the printer about cartridge being depleted. As far as I understand, the ink level is either measured by using a microchip in the cartridge. 

Hence, please use a new cartridge and check the printer functionality. You can employ the steps I provided in my above message to limit the use of color ink cartridges.

Please consider marking my post as "Accepted solutions" to help other users with the same issue to find a solution more efficiently. Click on "Thumps up" to give me "Kudos".

Visit us again if you have any concerns!

Thank you again and may you also have a great day and even better tomorrow 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.