Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I think I can guess, but I need to be sure before I dispose of my old printer:

Does my OfficeJet 635 have a hard drive inside that I need to wipe before I send it away?

(suggestion: This issue hit the news media big time this past Autumn. It is encouraging that HP has a significant support section on their website that deals with this issue, but it's too complicated for the home office. I don't need any big assessment or security implementation tools; I just need to know if there is a hard drive in my printer. A simple list of printers with the answer (yes/no) for each would suffice. 😉

Thanks in advance.

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is no hard drive in your Officejet 635.  With probably a few thousand printer models there would be no such thing as a "simple" list, but the following may help:

• HP Officejet and Deskjet Printers:  none have hard drives.  Some do have photo card slots, make sure there is no card in the slot before disposing of the printer.

• HP Photosmart printers:  Most/all of the models have photo card slots, make sure there are no cards left in the slots.  The desktop sized units do not have hard drives.  Some of the small portable units (that print 4"x6" and 5"x7") have hard drives.  Examples include the Photosmart 475.  

The following are mostly outside my area of expertise, others may have  better details:

• HP Laserjet Printers:  some models have hard drives.  See the user manual for details.  I know the Laserjet, Laserjet+, Laserjet II, Laserjet III, Laserjet 4, 4M, 4L do not have hard drives.
  • HP Designjet Printers:  some models have hard drives.  (I know the Designjet 430, 450, 650c, 750c do not have hard drives).

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

There is no hard drive in your Officejet 635.  With probably a few thousand printer models there would be no such thing as a "simple" list, but the following may help:

• HP Officejet and Deskjet Printers:  none have hard drives.  Some do have photo card slots, make sure there is no card in the slot before disposing of the printer.

• HP Photosmart printers:  Most/all of the models have photo card slots, make sure there are no cards left in the slots.  The desktop sized units do not have hard drives.  Some of the small portable units (that print 4"x6" and 5"x7") have hard drives.  Examples include the Photosmart 475.  

The following are mostly outside my area of expertise, others may have  better details:

• HP Laserjet Printers:  some models have hard drives.  See the user manual for details.  I know the Laserjet, Laserjet+, Laserjet II, Laserjet III, Laserjet 4, 4M, 4L do not have hard drives.
  • HP Designjet Printers:  some models have hard drives.  (I know the Designjet 430, 450, 650c, 750c do not have hard drives).

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

That's perfect.

Actually this comes pretty close to the simple list that I suggested. 😉

Thanks, Bob.

Scott

HP Recommended

My printer is a Photo smart HP 2610 xi all in one printer/scanner/copier/fax.  I want to dispose of it but am concerned that there is a hard drive in it that might have personal info on it.  Does anyone know for sure if it has a hard drive or not?

Thank you

HP Recommended

@help6666 wrote:

My printer is a Photo smart HP 2610 xi all in one printer/scanner/copier/fax.  I want to dispose of it but am concerned that there is a hard drive in it that might have personal info on it.  Does anyone know for sure if it has a hard drive or not?

The Photosmart 2610 does not have a hard drive.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I have a photosmart c309a  

Do I have a hard drive in this printer?   If so, how can I wipe or clean the data off of it without damaging it so I can comtinue using it?

HP Recommended

does this apply to the c309a as well?

HP Recommended

The c309a does not have a hard drive.  It does have a fax log that may contain some personal information (phone numbers and names of recipients) that can be cleared as follows:  press the setup key on the printer, press the down arrow five times to get to "Tools", OK, then press the down arrow five times to get to "Restore Factory Defaults", OK.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

We have several HP model printers in the office...how can I find out if these have hard drives?  I looked through the manual and I didn't find any info about having an internal HD.

HP 1100

HP 3050

HP CM1312 MFP

HP M1319f MFP

HP P2035

HP Recommended

@136tech wrote:

We have several HP model printers in the office...how can I find out if these have hard drives?  I looked through the manual and I didn't find any info about having an internal HD.

HP 1100

HP 3050

HP CM1312 MFP

HP M1319f MFP

HP P2035

None of these models have a hard drive.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.