Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have Windows 7 Professional on a desktop computer, and a HP Office Jet Pro 8100 printer equipped with a duplexer.

Since purchase some 18 months ago the printer has been working flawlessly.  Now, the duplexer has stopped working.  I have removed the attachment and reinstalled it, and removed and reinstalled the software, but the problem remains.  I have only one-side printing.

A couple of weeks ago I printed some photographs and had to turn off the duplexer via "settings" for the printer, because it wanted to run the photo paper front and back.  After that I returned to "settings" and turned the duplexer back on.  It worked normally for a few days and then quit printing front and back.  When I look at "settings" it shows the duplexer installed.

What next?  Could the accessory be going bad?

Thanks, stowerssf

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As suggested I ordered a replacement duplexer which came today (10/15).  I have just installed the replacement part and am now getting front and back printing.  Problem solved!  Thanks for your help.

stowerssf

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @stowerssf,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand that you are having some duplexing issues, with your HP Officejet Pro 8100 printer. I am happy to look into this issue for you! 

It is possible that the accessory could be going bad. Please double-check that the duplexer has been installed correctly, by following these steps: 

Step three: Install the two-sided printing accessory (duplexer)

NOTE: Do not press the buttons on either side of the duplexer when you install it. Use the buttons only to remove the duplexer from the product.

1. Turn the product around to access the rear.

Figure 2: Turn the product around

Illustration: Turn the product around
  2. Line up the duplexer with the opening at the rear of the product.

Figure 3: Line up the duplexer with the opening

Illustration: Line up the duplexer with the opening
  3. Slide the duplexer into the product until it locks into place.

Figure 4: Slide the duplexer into the product

Illustration: Slide the duplexer into the back of the product

Source: Setting up the Product (Hardware).

On the computer, you will want to do the following: 

Duplexing or printing on both sides of the paper can be performed manually by flipping the paper over, and then printing on the other side. Learn how to change print settings to print manually on both sides of the paper or use the automatic duplex accessory.
 NOTE:
Your printer might not look exactly like the printer in the images, but the steps are the same.
Figure : Example of paper printed on both sides
Image:  Example of paper printed on both sides
 NOTE:
If you are printing on letterhead, preprinted paper, or paper with watermarks and prepunched holes, the printer prints the front side of the paper first. Load the paper with the top edge first and the print side facing down.
  1. Turn on the printer.
  2. Load paper into the input tray.
    Figure : Load paper into the input tray
    Image: Load paper into the input tray
  3. On your computer, open the document you want to print.
  4. Click File, and then click Print.
     NOTE:
    Some software applications allow you to select a manual duplexing option that leads you through the steps to print on both sides of the page. Check for Print on Both Sides or something similar in the Print menu.
  5. From the print dialog window, click Properties.
     NOTE:
    Depending on your software application, this button might be called Properties, Options, Printer Setup, Printer Properties, Printer, orPreferences.
  6. Select the Layout tab.
    Figure : Layout tab
    Image: Layout tab
  7. On the Print on Both Sides Manually option, select Flip on Long Edge or Flip on Short Edge.
    Figure : Duplex printing options
    Image: Select under Print on Both Sides Manually
  8. Click OK, and then click Print.
    If your printer has an automatic duplexer, you do not need to continue to the next step.
  9. If your printer does not have an automatic duplexer, the printer or computer prompts you when to reload the stack of paper. When prompted, pick up the stack of paper from the output tray.
  10. Depending on the duplex option you chose, reload the paper.
    • If you chose Flip on Long Edge keep the printed side up, and then reinsert the stack of paper into the input tray without rotating it.
      Figure : Keep the printed side up, do not rotate
      Image: Keep the printed side up, do not rotate
    • If you chose Flip on Short Edge reinsert the stack printed side up into the input tray without rotating it.
      Figure : Reinsert the stack printed side up
      Reinsert the stack printed side up
  11. To complete the print job, follow any prompts on the computer or printer control panel.

Source: Printing and Changing Print Settings (Windows).

Otherwise, if this does not resolve your issue, please contact HP, phone support for further assistance. As the accessory/printer may need to be serviced/or replaced. (After you fill out the information, you will be given a phone number.) If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Country-language selector.

Best of luck! :generic:

If this, or any of the posts on this thread, has helped you to resolve the issue, please click on "Accept as Solution" on said post. To show that you 'like', or are thankful of my post, kindly click the thumbs up below. If there is anything else I can do to help, please be sure to let me know!

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

I'm beginning to think you may be right.  I have reinstalled the software and double checked for updates and also removed and  rreinstalled the duplexer a couple of times, and still no two sided printing.  Where can I obtain a replacement duplexer?

stowerssf

HP Recommended

Hi stowerssf,

Please contact phone support at 1 (800) 474-6836, for further assistance. (After you fill out the information, you will be given a phone number.) If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Country-language selector.

Best of luck! :generic:

If this, or any of the posts on this thread, has helped you to resolve the issue, please click on "Accept as Solution" on said post. To show that you 'like', or are thankful of my post, kindly click the thumbs up below. If there is anything else I can do to help, please be sure to let me know!

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

As suggested I ordered a replacement duplexer which came today (10/15).  I have just installed the replacement part and am now getting front and back printing.  Problem solved!  Thanks for your help.

stowerssf

HP Recommended

Hi stowerssf,

i am glad that a replacement duplexer resolved your issue! 

Please consider unmarking your post as the Accepted Solution, and please consider marking my post Message 4 as 'Accept as Solution' so that anybody else in the community who may experience this issue can find the solution more easily.

Best regards! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

IMG_20160430_193418.jpgMy Envy 5535 All In One was having frequent paper jams. I removed the paper cover and the duplexer. I'm told the duplexer wasn't supposed to be removed. Now I can't get the parts back in. Been trying for weeks. Then I discovered a white plastic part inside on the bottom. Have no idea where that goes. I believe once it's put back in the duplexer will fit in. I'm attaching a photo. Can someone tell me where the white plastic piece goes? Thanks. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.