Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

WWorking on a friend's computer, they have xfinity internet,a desktop running win 8.1 which prints and a laptop running win 10 that doesn't. The ip address on the printer is 10.288.136.14, the gateway is 10.0.0.1 and the two computers are using that  subnet when I try to connect to the printer without going throught the software, it tells me unable to connect on the desktop, and the laptop doesn't see it at all. Any help would be appreciated

Thx in advance

Scott Loddesol

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @sloddesol,

Thanks for getting back to me with that information.

I would restore the network defaults, restart the printer, and reboot the router, then run the Wireless Setup Wizard to reconnect to the network.

Once the new connection is established try the wireless installation again.

If the same issue still exists, this support document may contain something useful - Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection.

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @sloddesol,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your connection issue.

I understand that you are trying to connect a Windows 10 laptop to an HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer but the network printer is not being seen by the Windows 10 computer, and the Windows 8.1 desktop is unable to connect. I would like to help.

Here is the support document intended for use in this type of scenario - Printer Not Found During Network Driver Setup (Windows).

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thx for getting back with me, the desktop will print but I cant see the printer on the network. The laptop with win 10 will not print Ive run both windows and HP troubleshooters. The computers are on a xfinity modem/router with an IP address of 10.0.0.1-4. the printer shows up as 10.288.156.14 when I tried to change wireless settings on the printer, it still comes up out of the 10.0.0.* range and it won't accept the hostname either on the win 10 machine.

Scott

HP Recommended

Hi @sloddesol,

Thanks for getting back to me with that information.

I would restore the network defaults, restart the printer, and reboot the router, then run the Wireless Setup Wizard to reconnect to the network.

Once the new connection is established try the wireless installation again.

If the same issue still exists, this support document may contain something useful - Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection.

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks!

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Found the problem, apparently xfinity in their infinite wisdom has a "hidden" guest account for other xfinity customers to use while out and about. Some how the printer had managed to log on to that network opposed to the home network (still have no idea how the desktop found it.Unless it was because thery were both HP and connected by blood;P)). Appreciate the help

Thx

Scott

HP Recommended

Hi @sloddesol,

I am glad to hear you were able to get connected successfully! 

Thanks!

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.