Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just bought and hp envy 4500 printer. It is connected to my computer via a usb cable. It can print test and diagnostic pages, but nothing else. I have tried all the troubleshooting methods including testing all my usb ports (both 2.0 and 3.0). I am wondering what I need to do to get the printer to communicate correctly with my computer so that I can print out normal documents and pictures.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

like many others I tried everything including unsinstalling and reinstalling and nothing worked, I was about to give up when I clicked on the second link in this post which took me to a page that I have been to many times with the downloads etc. I noticed a link on the right saying if I was having difficulty finding my windows 8 driver to use the HP Printer Install Wizard

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e016-1&h_keyword=dg-PIW&j...

I ran this which appeared to be very similar to the full install procedure but at the end it came up with another print a test page button, I tried it just to watch the document appear in the queue and then disappear as it had been doing with all other test prints but this one actually worked and the problem so far appears to be fixed!

View solution in original post

51 REPLIES 51
HP Recommended

Sorry that you are having a problem with the USB not being recognized from the computer. 

When you plug it in, do you here a sound or notification that something is plugged in?

Try another port on the computer. Do not use the 3.0 port. 

If you have another USB cable, try it. 

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

The computer recognizes that the printer is there, but again doesn't print anything. I have tried a new usb cable and both 2.0 and 3.0 usb ports. I also tried connecting the printer wirelessly and I'm having the same issues. The printer is picked up by the computer, but nothing will print out.

HP Recommended

Are you receivng a error message when you try to print?

Try to run the print and scan doctor and check the results.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03275041

Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

I've been having this same problem. There is no error message. The print job just goes to the queue and then leaves without anything actually printing. The Print and Scan Doctor does not detect anything and I have tried removing the device and reinstalling multiple times. I have also gone through the HP FAQ page for fixing it to no avail. I am certain that the printer is connected and the USB is fine. Are there any other suggestions that you have? I would really love to not purchase another printer.

HP Recommended

@ahatza, sorry that you are having this problem, also.

Try to stop and restart your printer spooler.

1. Click Start Menu

2. Type in SERVICES in the search bar.

3. Click on it and scroll down to Printer Spooler.

4. Stop it and restart it.

HP Recommended

I jbought a hp envy 4500 printer today and I'm having the same problem.  It is connected to my computer via a usb cable. It can print test and diagnostic pages, but nothing else. I have tried all the troubleshooting methods including testing all my usb ports (both 2.0 and 3.0). I am wondering what I need to do to get the printer to communicate correctly with my computer so that I can print out normal documents and pictures. I have tried all of your suggestions and still cannot get the printer to communicate with the computer.

Thanks for any additional help.

HP Recommended

Try to disable your firewall and anti-virus and see if it prints.

HP Recommended

still no luck. Should the printer be "offline"? How do I change it if this is wrong?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Go to your devices and printers.

1. RIGHT CLICK on the printer

2. Choose SEE WHAT'S PRINTING or OPEN

3. Your QUEUE window will appear.

4. Click on PRINTER (top left)

5. Make sure OFFLINE is NOT checked. Paused printing should not be checked,either.

It could be the USB cable, also. Do you have another one? It should NOT be plugged into the 3.0 port.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.