Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4500

I recently purchased an Envy 4500 and needed a replacement cartridge for the first time today so I bought an HP combo pack, black and tri-color, NUMBER 61 at Walmart. Upon receiving the "Cartridge for older generation of printer" error I did some research to see that this is a common issue but was unable to find out how I go about obtaining a replacement cartridge or refund. I obviously opened the packaging that the cartridge came in so I cannot return it to Walmart, nor do I feel that I should return it to them because it is undamaged and opened.

Please let me know how I can go about obtaining a replacement cartridge from HP or a refund of my purchase. Again I purchased exactly what the sticker on the inside of the printer says "61" so I believe this should certainly be covered by HP. If they had simply given the required cartridge a different number, this could have simply been avoided.

Thank you for your help on this!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I called HP and they told me I needed to go back to Walmart for a refund. Only after I did that would they replace my 2 cartridges if Walmart didn't. I was already told by Walmart that they won't take them back because they are opened and there is nothing visibly wrong with them. I explained to my HP rep that I would be selling my HP printer and ending my relationship with HP. It was only after I said that that he said HP would replace my cartridges but that this was a "one time courtesy" and that I needed to be more careful going forward.

HP please let me be clear, you did not do me any courtesy, the way I see it all you did was correct your own mistake. I really did not appreciate how the incident was turned around as if it was my fault that I bought the wrong cartridge. I would have had much less issue with this if HP had apologized and admitted that they had made a mistake. I will keep this interaction in mind the next time that I consider buying an HP product.

If anyone had this same issue in the future don't waste your time, just call HP directly and be very clear with what you would like them to do.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Please read the information on this page: http://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c03747361

**Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended
Thank you for the link but that does not answer my question. I realize that the only solution is that there is no solution except buying a newer cartridge. I am saying that since I did exactly what HP instructed by purchasing a number 61 cartridge which was exactly what came with the machine that HP should reimburse or replace the number 61 cartridge that I purchased. If the cartridge is not the correct one then why does it have the exact same number and or why was there not some large print included with the printer warning that this could happen?

I have had 4 HP printers including this one and each one was great, it was clearly defined what type of cartridge it used and I never had issues. So by following HP's own instructions I purchased the wrong cartridge. Therefore I would like a replacement or refund. Please post instructions on how to do so.
HP Recommended
I called HP and they told me I needed to go back to Walmart for a refund. Only after I did that would they replace my 2 cartridges if Walmart didn't. I was already told by Walmart that they won't take them back because they are opened and there is nothing visibly wrong with them. I explained to my HP rep that I would be selling my HP printer and ending my relationship with HP. It was only after I said that that he said HP would replace my cartridges but that this was a "one time courtesy" and that I needed to be more careful going forward.

HP please let me be clear, you did not do me any courtesy, the way I see it all you did was correct your own mistake. I really did not appreciate how the incident was turned around as if it was my fault that I bought the wrong cartridge. I would have had much less issue with this if HP had apologized and admitted that they had made a mistake. I will keep this interaction in mind the next time that I consider buying an HP product.

If anyone had this same issue in the future don't waste your time, just call HP directly and be very clear with what you would like them to do.
HP Recommended

Hello

I am glad - and disappointed - to read this post.  I bought a new printer cartridge in WH Smith today.  Whilst I knew it was past its end date, they advertised it as still being able to work, and indeed two similar printer cartridges I bought from there before worked.

On getting the error message about older generation cartridges it sounded as if it was a pain - it wasn't going to be able to work and I wasn't going to be able to print the stuff I wanted to tonight, but would have to wait until I'd gone to the shops again tomorrow, got home from work, etc. etc., but that at least HP would reimburse me.  After all, the message comes up 'if you don't have an older generation printer then contact HP support'.

Having read this post I'm ready for HP support to tell me to go back to the shop, but I shall hold firm and demand my money back - or that they send me an up-to-date cartridge.  Fingers crossed.   What idiots sell printer cartridges with the same ID number on but having changed them?  They're not the same, so why have HP labelled them the same.  Talk about confusing your customers.

Thank you for forewarning me... I never had any problems like this with Epson...

HP Recommended

@SarahJLB wrote:

Hello

I am glad - and disappointed - to read this post.  I bought a new printer cartridge in WH Smith today.  Whilst I knew it was past its end date, they advertised it as still being able to work, and indeed two similar printer cartridges I bought from there before worked. [snip]

I would suggest you start with WH Smith - if they knew the cartridges were outdated but they promised they would work they are the ones to deal with.

The "Previous generation" cartridges are long out of date - HP introduced the new cartridge design long before the new printers that required the updated cartridges.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Yes, HP doesn't make anything easy.  Why on earth wasn't a different cartridge number assigned when interchangeability ceased?  

In buying after-market cartridges  you'll be guided whether you need "New Generation" or plain (default) by your printer model number.

It is understandable that HP throws roadblocks in your way regarding after-market cartridges while the printer is within warranty, claiming other inks could damage the printer, but why afterwards?  It's "restraint of trade" pure and simple.  (Canon is even worse)  There oughta be a law................

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.