Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi

Had my Envy 4500 for 8 months with no probs, however this week it will not copy. It says it is  and goes onto copying but sticks there with the progress bar flowing but nothing happening. I've run troubleshooting, i've checked the paper and inks. I've unplugged it (it wont turn off) and reset it. Nothing works.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello there! Welcome to the HP Community @M47hew,

I came across your post about the issues copying your Envy 4500 is having, and I wanted to reach out with my suggestions.

Click on the link below and try updating the firmware on the printer. Also ensure after a power reset, that the main power is plugged in directly to a wall outlet avoiding any power bars or surge protectors. If the error continues, please contact HP to discuss a printer replacement or trade in.

HP Envy 4500 series firmware update to improve printer performance

Click the thumbs up below to show appreciation for my help!
Click the "Accept as Solution" if I have guided you to a solution!

Contact HP:
Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello there! Welcome to the HP Community @M47hew,

I came across your post about the issues copying your Envy 4500 is having, and I wanted to reach out with my suggestions.

Click on the link below and try updating the firmware on the printer. Also ensure after a power reset, that the main power is plugged in directly to a wall outlet avoiding any power bars or surge protectors. If the error continues, please contact HP to discuss a printer replacement or trade in.

HP Envy 4500 series firmware update to improve printer performance

Click the thumbs up below to show appreciation for my help!
Click the "Accept as Solution" if I have guided you to a solution!

Contact HP:
Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi to all

My envy 4500 Printer will not copy or scan. When I select 'copy' then 'start black (or colour) copy' press OK and nothing  at all happens.

Printer Prints from computer perfectly but will not scan, also the printer's stand alone copy function does not work which suggests a fault with the printer only.  Removing printer power, and re applying power from a separate mains socket did not fix.

When the printer re boots the scanner arm moves briefly and no failure warnings are shown. I re booted my internet box  and tried Re installing all computer software /drivers and replacing the USB lead between computer and printer, it did not fix the problem.  Scan doctor could not fix it.

I suspect a printer firmware fault but I cannot find out how to obtain and replace the firmware. The link in the text above only provides computer software and drivers. It would be a terrible waste to just throw this fairly new and little used printer away can anybody help?

HP Recommended

You are a robot reply. The link to update firmware isn't a firmware update. I accuse HP of deliberately sabotaging my printer. The scan arm work fine - I can see it light up when I restart the printer. It moves to scan then stops. Cancelling leaves it cancelling indefinitely requiring a restart. This is another in a long line of printer scams meant to earn money for the manufacturers. Get a human on the case and don't just tell everyone to update their drivers. The fault is in the printer, not the driver. Copying is a standalone process and only involves the printer hardware / firmware.

HP Recommended

The day I signed-up with Instant Ink and installed shipped cartiridges...my Envy 4500 stopped copying and scanning.  It does print.  I've tried EVERY solution without success.  I now believe that my Envy 4500 was adversely affected by HP software upgrade and/or Instant Ink sign-up? Or, it's time to get a new printer?  

HP Recommended

Hi @robbieEnvy4500

Thanks for posting in the HP Support Forum. I understand you're having an issue copying with your HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Print. I would like to assist you with this. 

I will send you a private message so that we can discuss your Instant Ink account data in private. If you're not sure how to check your inbox, this post has instructions. 

Best regards, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I totally agree with the following post.  Same thing happen to me!  Yes, my printer is nearly three years old.  And it was inexpensive.  It's probably time for a new printer.  I value everything HP, yet I have to wonder about the Instant Ink sign-up and software upgrade.   

Bottom line:   my printer prints, but does not copy or scan; it's time for new printer.  

"The day I signed-up with Instant Ink and installed shipped cartiridges...my Envy 4500 stopped copying and scanning.  It does print.  I've tried EVERY solution without success.  I now believe that my Envy 4500 was adversely affected by HP software upgrade and/or Instant Ink sign-up? Or, it's time to get a new printer?"

HP Recommended

What was the resolution to this problem? I am having the same issue on my Envy 5549, installed Instant Ink and now cannot copy.

I need resolution or I am unsubscribing to the service. 

HP Recommended
Are you going to private message everybody? Why does a solution to a problem not get posted for everyone?
HP Recommended
I am having EXACTLY the same problem - it won't scan, it won't copy.  I even took out all the software/drivers and re-loaded it (which worked last time this happened) but that changed nothing.   This machine was bought new and is only 14 months old and it looks like I'm going to have to scrap it.  No more HP for me - I've spent a fortune on HP computers and printers over the years and they always let me down.  Really don't know why I've been so loyal.

@brightspark2 wrote:

Hi to all

My envy 4500 Printer will not copy or scan. When I select 'copy' then 'start black (or colour) copy' press OK and nothing  at all happens.

Printer Prints from computer perfectly but will not scan, also the printer's stand alone copy function does not work which suggests a fault with the printer only.  Removing printer power, and re applying power from a separate mains socket did not fix.

When the printer re boots the scanner arm moves briefly and no failure warnings are shown. I re booted my internet box  and tried Re installing all computer software /drivers and replacing the USB lead between computer and printer, it did not fix the problem.  Scan doctor could not fix it.

I suspect a printer firmware fault but I cannot find out how to obtain and replace the firmware. The link in the text above only provides computer software and drivers. It would be a terrible waste to just throw this fairly new and little used printer away can anybody help?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.