Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5530
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

The red 'X' on the bottom right of the printer screen lit up and printer stopped working. Checked the utility app and was advised that black cartridge low on ink. Changed cartridge. Utility program says all levels now ok. Tried to align but although printer screen says 'printing' , red 'X' alight and nothing happens. Tried to print, copy and scan with similar resuls. Printer says it is working but nothing is happening. Have rebooted printer and computer (iMac) without sucess. HELP please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There were no error messages. The screen on the printer actually said 'printing' and the 'clock indicator' was revolving but nothing was happening. When the operation was cancelled  and a different operation selected the same thing happened - no error messages and everything seemed to be happening normally but nothing did. Checked for paper and and cartridge jams - all clear.

Repeated cancel operation retry printing a number of times and after about the tenth time, for no obvious reason it printed! Checked all other functions - all normal. Had good wifi connection throughout.

Gremlins???

Thanks your help.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Derek39,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you're unable to print, copy or scan with your HP ENVY 5530 e-All-in-One Printer. I will certainly do my best to help you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

It sounds like the printer is in an error state, I would do a hard reset to see if that will resolve the issue. Is there a message on the screen of the printer? 

Hard Reset:

• Leave the printer on and unplug the power cable from the printer and wall outlet for 60 seconds.
  • Then reconnect the power cable to the printer and wall outlet rather than a surge protector. This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.
  • Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet (don't use a power bar or a surge protector).

There could be a few different issues causing the problem like a print cartridge problem, paper jam or carriage jam. 

Depending on the type of error message or blinking lights, please see these guides:

Hope this answers your question. Please respond to this post with the results. Thank you for posting!

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

There were no error messages. The screen on the printer actually said 'printing' and the 'clock indicator' was revolving but nothing was happening. When the operation was cancelled  and a different operation selected the same thing happened - no error messages and everything seemed to be happening normally but nothing did. Checked for paper and and cartridge jams - all clear.

Repeated cancel operation retry printing a number of times and after about the tenth time, for no obvious reason it printed! Checked all other functions - all normal. Had good wifi connection throughout.

Gremlins???

Thanks your help.

HP Recommended

When I try to do anything on my printer recently I am seeing everything flashing and a circle with a line breaking the circle, all in white on the blue screen.  It will not turn off using the button.  I have to unplug it.  I have tried everything suggested above.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.