Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The error code appears on my printer display and suggests I contact HP.  Anyone know what this means?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello Foxgate,
Welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you're getting an 0x61******* error on your Officejet 6700. I will attempt to help you with this.

I have found a document on this error code for you.
(A 'Printer Failure' Message That Might Include an '0x610000f6' or '0x61xxxxxx' Error Code Displays ...)

The code itself references a paper jam, the document will guide you to fixing this issue.

I hope this was helpful to you, thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

IF ALL OF THE OTHER "FIXES" DON'T WORK, TRY CLEANING THE DECODER STRIP. IF IT IS DIRTY IT WILL CAUSE THE ERROR. The decoder strip is the the long white plastic strip inside that the carriage runs across. Just open the door, look inside to the back of the cavity and you will see it. To clean, simply moisten a bit of soft cloth and use it to gently wipe the strip clean as much as possible. Be warned, in all likelihood, you will get some ink on your hands. It washes off with soap and water. Have it ready. I have had this fix a number of printers including a HP 6700 that I just "repaired" after trying the normal fixes that did not work.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much! This fixed the problem immediately. I would have ended up taking it to a repair shop otherwise.

HP Recommended
Kudos too you my friend, you are the man. Thanks you for taking the time to post your solution here.
HP Recommended

You are most welcome.

HP Recommended

Glad I could help.

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for your help... a recurring problem solved, easily. 

Nice to see clear, straightforward guidance - no "go to this link" and subsequent multi-page (and often ineffective) confusion.

Just to clarify, on my OJ6700, the plastic strip that you refer to is clear, rather than white.

Best to you. n

HP Recommended

Thanks for the feedback. Yes the strip may be clear. Glad to see the cleaning tip has helped so many.

HP Recommended

Bravo! I went to several of these pages trying the on/off, unplug cords, blah, blah, blah! Sweet to find a solution that actually has been tried by the poster! Any yahoo can post links generated by HP. Would have avoided a lot of profanity had I read this thread first! Thanks for making the effort to post.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.